Bearded dragon acting sick and strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pumpkaboo

I got a beardie around 2 years ago, and he was always a good feeder. He went off of food a year back, so I took him to the Vet. I wasn’t a fan of the vet (his tone when talking, and he got some facts wrong) but he basically told me my beardie was fine. He also told me to add a water bowl in his tank. This ended up messing up Tiny’s (that’s my beardie’s name) shed, and made him cough. I took the bowl out, and he didn’t cough again. His appetite returned a little, but not the same. Fast forward to about a month ago, and his poop & urate started looking less together (almost like mush, with a proper urate). He went off of food entirely. This was winter so I figured brumation. He didn’t lose barely any weight, anyways. Then comes a week or so ago. His urate started to be more liquidy, and was suspended in this sticky brown goo. Then he started doing a weird choking/gagging thing. I set up a vet appointment (with the same vet). That morning, tiny threw up a puddle of brownish reddish stuff. I, freaking out, took him to the vet right away. The vet again told me Tiny looked fine, and the fecal test didn’t show parasites. He put tiny on antibacterial, anti parasite antibiotics anyways, because Tiny wasn’t feeling well. The meds are Sulfa trim. Tiny’s been on them for five days, and seemed increasingly tired each day. He stopped throwing up day 3. (He threw up 3 times in 2 days.) I thought “maybe he’s getting better.” I’ve been giving him a bath every day and hydrating him (via the vet’s request) . But the tiredness was bothering me. Come today, I go to move his cork bark (he shifted it a lot somehow) and I pick him up and move him after offering water. He suddenly goes into this slight fit of gasping/coughing? He shakes his head once, and goes to lie down in the corner. I left him alone for a few minutes because I thought maybe me moving him stressed him, and when I came back he was gaping slightly, and every so often would sit up and take a deep, open mouthed breath. I thought before he had parasites, now I don’t know. I want to get bloodwork done, but I’m feeling quite confused and in over my head. This is my first reptile I’ve ever owned. Any input would be appreciated. Similar experiences and advice Especially. He looks super uncomfortable.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please post a pic of Tinys tank and lighting and him --- please go over the husbandry of the tank or better yet take a pic of it so we can see what might be causing this -- it almost sound like a RI - does he have any mucous or stuff coming out of his mouth or nose - but then again w/ the throwing up ? IDK -- Tracie Drache 613 and / or AHBD would need to weigh in on this ---- but pics of him and his tank would be most helpful and here is website for a vet
www.arav.og
Karrie

Pumpkaboo

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1lh73b3u said:
Please post a pic of Tinys tank and lighting and him --- please go over the husbandry of the tank or better yet take a pic of it so we can see what might be causing this -- it almost sound like a RI - does he have any mucous or stuff coming out of his mouth or nose - but then again w/ the throwing up ? IDK -- Tracie Drache 613 and / or AHBD would need to weigh in on this ---- but pics of him and his tank would be most helpful and here is website for a vet
http://www.arav.og
Karrie

Unfortunately, he passed away suddenly very shortly after I wrote that. He showed all the symptoms for a genetic disease that usually hatchlings get. We’re all very shocked he made it this far, this healthily. He was always such a lively, and happy beardie, so no one knew. Thank you for trying to help. It means a lot ❤️

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is terrible :( -- I am so sorry --- it is often too late at times to save them - they are so good at hiding their illnesses until they cant no more --- again I am sorry
Karrie

Pumpkaboo

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1x8m22jq said:
That is terrible :( -- I am so sorry --- it is often too late at times to save them - they are so good at hiding their illnesses until they cant no more --- again I am sorry
Karrie

Thank you Karrie, your condolences mean a lot. This isn’t easy, but I know he’s happier now ❤️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom