Please Help With Setup!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I’m very confused how the setup works and I was wondering if someone could help.

107275-4313138099.jpg

107275-5130789340.jpg

107275-5080698971.jpg

These are some photos.
Our beardie has been blinking and closing his eyes. Also is not eating as much as usual.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for lighting ? How close is the basking spot to the light ? Brand and bulb of UVB ? I see only 2 domes - do you have a long light fixture for a tube UVB? If your dragon is doing alot of blinking and closing of eyes its the lights - but I need to know what your using --- tell me what you have and then I will let you know how to fix
Karrie

waterlilie32

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3dyuxjxb said:
What are you using for lighting ? How close is the basking spot to the light ? Brand and bulb of UVB ? I see only 2 domes - do you have a long light fixture for a tube UVB? If your dragon is doing alot of blinking and closing of eyes its the lights - but I need to know what your using --- tell me what you have and then I will let you know how to fix
Karrie

The UVB is
107275-8415599391.jpg
There is no long fixture but the blinking isn’t that bad it’s only sometimes. There is a screen which the lamp sits on. Also the distance from the lights to basking spot is about 5 inches.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Coils cause eye issues- along w/ other health problems- no UVB he will only get sicker- those coils have basically killed more dragons than I can count
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am bad you have the 26 watt I was thinking of the 13 watt I am bad sorry-- your 26 watt needs to be in a dome w/ a reflector and approx 8 inches from basking- it is similar to the T 8---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so what are the basking temps? How are you taking them ? Not eating usually has something to do w/ UVB and basking temps--- once that is ruled out we look at maybe parasites--- what are you feeding him? Poops are they runny? Real bad smell that will drive you from room?
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
waterlilie32":i9i2pzcp said:
There is a screen which the lamp sits on.
A screen between the bulb and enclosure can cut the amount of UVB getting through by up to 50%, requiring the bulb to be even closer to be efficacious.

A fluorescent UVB (e.g. Reptisun 10.0, T8 or T5) hung inside the enclosure would be much better, IMO.
The Care Sheets and Articles archive (top horizontal bar menu) has a lot of good information in it--worth perusing. :wink:

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, for the most part that's a very nice set up ! :) Good use of wood instead of all rocks for climbing areas and they are nicely sloped. How old is your dragon and how much was he eating in the past compared to now ? As they mature they can lose appetite to a degree so that could be totally normal. A long tube Reptisun uvb is always better and will be fine on top of the screen, there's very little space to mount it in the tank and your type of screen is not the very fine mesh that blocks too much uvb, I can see that when I zoom the picture.

waterlilie32

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2fdvxoll said:
Ok so what are the basking temps? How are you taking them ? Not eating usually has something to do w/ UVB and basking temps--- once that is ruled out we look at maybe parasites--- what are you feeding him? Poops are they runny? Real bad smell that will drive you from room?
Karrie

The highest is about 92 F. I use a temperature gun. For the green leafy food he eats cabbage or carrot tops usually. Usually the food is different everyday sometimes it’s a omnivore mix or bell peppers and other vegetables. Also now he is eating a lot more than last couple days. Also usually eats crickets and sometimes worms.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Your high temp. should be about 98-100 . A better choice for greens would be collard, turnip, mustard, kale . Other veggies in some amount are squash, green bean, bok choi, variety of sweet/green peppers.

waterlilie32

Original Poster
AHBD":1k242jvl said:
Your high temp. should be about 98-100 . A better choice for greens would be collard, turnip, mustard, kale . Other veggies in some amount are squash, green bean, bok choi, variety of sweet/green peppers.

Okay thank you! The mix also has those vegetables. I’ll get a heater, thank you sooo much!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok you dont want a heater - you want to increase your basking spot temp - so what are you using for a wattage of that bulb ? also if you can move decor around to get a higher temp that is a option too
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome. :) BTW, when you say Omnivore mix are you referring to the dried pet food mixes ? If so it's much better to switch to real veggies whenever possible.

waterlilie32

Original Poster
AHBD":2fpgxowa said:
You're welcome. :) BTW, when you say Omnivore mix are you referring to the dried pet food mixes ? If so it's much better to switch to real veggies whenever possible.
The mix is new but it’s only used when there isn’t much fresh food, usually it’s fresh! Thank you!

(Also this is it)

107275-4317883914.jpg
107275-7005779883.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom