Hello there

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverNessDragon

107263-1216331651.jpg

Hi, I’m new the the forum and I thought I’d introduce my son, Ness. I acquired him fairly recently and would always appreciate any advice on beardie keeping from a more experienced owner as he is my first. I rescued him and not really in a traditional way either, I found him really. I was walking to work when I saw him, in our very urban, very not a beardie’s native habitat, very along, and in a very feral cat populated are. He’s settled in quite nicely and since day one has hardly shown any signs of distress, (eating well, thought he’s mr picky when concerning non insect foods, drinking well, normal looking stool, basking nicely, has shed a few times, and has only shown a black beard once in the few months I’ve had him, etc.) Where I found him was definitely an area he could have been abandoned and from what I can tell, he’s docile, and doesn’t freak out when handling. Though last time I measured he was 16 inches in length, which leads me to guess he’s on the younger side, but I’m not sure.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome and lucky you found the poor guy---- can you go over your set up for him so we can see if you need any help w/ your friend now -- what lighting are you using for him ? UVB brand and bulb? Basking temps and how are you taking them? infrared heat gun stick ons or digital probe you can post pics of the tank and lighting
Karrie

RiverNessDragon

Original Poster
Actually I could really use some help because the reason I joined the forum in the first place is today (despite working well for quite a while) something went wrong with the lighting (it WAS this 160 watt bulb that gave both heat and uvb, it was what the store gave us for the tank size, and the only thing they had for it) and it started to trigger the circuit breaker. I wanted to get separate fixtures for both light and uvb and I wanted to know any good brands for all the lighting equipment (ya know things like basking bulb, uvb tube light, and appropriate fixtures for both.) The tank is 48 inches long, 18 wide, and 32 tall (weird dimensions but it was what we could get at the time the fastest without a tank which would be way to small,) so it’s 100 gallons. Although we’ve gotten him things to climb so it’s not completely 1 level, and when the lighting worked he could choose to be closer or further, (he has shown quite some aptitude for the semi arboreal nature of beardies). The closest part could get into the high 90s. Furthermore the temp is taken with an infrared temp gun. The room doesn’t drop below 70. So yeah my top priority at the current moment is getting him new lighting ASAP (hopefully it will resolve the circuit breaker issue) and any help with brands and or a good place to purchase said equipment.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Go to the enclosure board I posted there --- see that helps you out--- ask questions after you read that post
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Wow, is he lucky you found him!

What country are you in? That will help people give you specific store advice. A lot of people do have luck buying things online. It is also worth it to get extra bulbs. For one you'll need to replace the bulbs eventually, and two it is so much easier when you already have a spare.

Reptisun T5 HO in the US/CA and Arcadia T5 12% in EU area are the two best type of bulb brands for UVB right now. Each company has their own website you can order from or they are on Amazon.

Just my opinion for the two-in-one heat/UVB bulbs, you still need a UVB tube light. People at a pet store might say different. I think it's important to offer UVB at hotter and cooler temps. And you have decor items so I'm assuming he can find shade if he wants to avoid heat or UVB or both. You can get go with a regular white light heat bulb if that is what you need to get temperature hotter. Ideally a hot area around 100-105°F then 90s, 80s.

You can upload pictures here so people can help more https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/#list

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
He might be between 12 to 24 months old. It is hard to tell. You could split the difference and estimate him to be 18 months old

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom