Healthy weights

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Hello!

I currently have a 10 month old female who just reached over 300 grams but she is very muscular from getting to free roam our room a couple times a week.

My 5 month old is just over 112 grams upon arrival to my house.

Could someone please let me know if these are healthy weights for their Age?

Thanks! Sydney

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It sounds good. Especially if they are active and alert. Since their weights vary so much it's best to measure their weight against their past weight and make sure they are growing or stable. Keeping a spreadsheet or log is helpful. It's easier to tell if they are at a healthy weight by looking at them for muscle development and fat pads etc. and watching their behavior.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thank You!

I have a chart for my female Pancake. She sort of brumated this winter so I do know for a fact she has gained about 20 grams.

Forrest is handicapped missing half a back leg and the other side just his back foot. He is 112 grams as of yesterday but not very muscular.

I just wanted to make sure nobody was over weight since I recently learned about Fatty Liver Disease.

Thanks for the help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If they are getting time to roam around to get some exercise and have a nice varied diet they should be OK regarding fatty liver disease.

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
Sadly I cant let my beardie free roam because we have a dog and my younger brothers are sometimes careless. But I let her roam on my bed.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Is it possible for a dragon to gain weight to fast? Or is it unhealthy? I am worried because my 5 month gained about 50g in a little over a week (rescued Jan 25) and is now 163 g in total. First weighed in at 112 g

I thought I may have been over feeding but after some research think he is the correct weight for his age?

Please give opinions and any advice on feeding tips. I got him to eat his first meal of greens today by hand feeding. I don't think his previous owner ever offered veggies before but I finally got some in him ?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thats good---- feed greens first thing in the morning before staple feeders --- entice w/ super worms 1-3 wax worms 1-3 and the best is the BSFL - they are good staple feeders and you can use as many as you want --- you can get them from here www.symtonbsf.com order large as they are small and do not dust -- add those BSFL and worms in front of him that will get him to the bowl -- after he eats from that bowl for say an hr or so then feed him his staple feeder -- I use dubias as they cannot get out of the bowl you can also use silk worms they are a good staple feeder too - last I looked they had them on sale on this site www.mulberryfarms.com make sure you get chow if your order a large quantity -- try that and see if you cant get him to start eating his greens
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, healthy weight also depends , to a degree, on their length. Can you measure your dragons ? And pictures can be helpful as well so post a few.

Dragonqueen, 50 grams in one week is pretty excessive and I would recommend reducing the insect feedings a bit. Gout is becoming too common in beardies and high protein diets can lead to it.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ok Thanks! The reptile store I get supplies from told me to just "to keep him happy with protein" because he wouldn't eat greens.

I wasn't exactly happy with that answer but he wouldn't eat anything else so now that I can hand feed greens I will cut back on protein.

This is Forrest today measuring at 14 & 1/2 inches
107227-6149165677.jpg

BeardedDragonSteve

Juvie Member
DragonQueen3":318p42ej said:
Is it possible for a dragon to gain weight to fast? Or is it unhealthy? I am worried because my 5 month gained about 50g in a little over a week (rescued Jan 25) and is now 163 g in total. First weighed in at 112 g

I thought I may have been over feeding but after some research think he is the correct weight for his age?

Please give opinions and any advice on feeding tips. I got him to eat his first meal of greens today by hand feeding. I don't think his previous owner ever offered veggies before but I finally got some in him ?
When they are around that age they can with a healthy diet gain weight in a short period of time because they are growing.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
It doesn't look like he gained weight there really so it's possible that your scale was off. He does need a good amount of protein though, I agree. :)

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Maybe it's possible he is gaining muscle???

I've been trying to get him exercise by dropping worms on the opposite sides of his cage so he runs around to get them.
He also hunts crickets pretty fast and likes to walk around my bed and window sill

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, after a day nd a half with no bugs Forrest is willingly eating greens now.

Just watched him munch down some mustard greens after running to the wall where I put his food bowl

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
DragonQueen3":1ekgofwa said:
Well, after a day nd a half with no bugs Forrest is willingly eating greens now.

Just watched him munch down some mustard greens after running to the wall where I put his food bowl
LOL Funny how that works huh? ?
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom