The Dream Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Hello, My name is Sydney!

I have been a dragon owner for about 6 months now, and my first baby Pancake was declared perfect by my Exotic Vet right before brumation. She is about 10 months old now and her birthday is 2 days after mine! You can see below why I named her Pancake
107227-2611401757.jpg

In the last week I also became mama to 2 new guys, who I felt needed to be brought home.

The first was Bubba the new baby - I believe about 3 months old
107227-5371809863.jpg

And then I rescued Forrest over the weekend as he is handicapped and I'm sure needs all the love he can get. I was told he is about 5 months old
107227-2886091797.jpg

This is our little dragon family and I'm so very happy

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome to the forum--- if there are colored bulbs in your tanks I would get rid of them - they disrupt sleep and cause eye problems
Karrie

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes, I am getting all new bulbs on Friday.
What watt would you recommend for a 120 gallon? I plan to put the bulb on a light bracket as seen below
107227-4343542359.jpg

It is an open top so nothing will be blocking the lights

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I have a 120 gallon w/ a galvanized screen top that I use 150 watt exo Terra basking bulb and a zoo med 24" Reptisun 10 T 5-- that UVB is inside the tank--- I also use a 100 watt CHE in the winter to keep my tanks around 70 at nite
Karrie

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
We have a space heater so night temps don't go below 72.

Also, I've noticed that the long reptisun bulbs go between T-5 and T-8.

Is there a big difference between the two? I plan on getting a 36" for my 120 gal and an 18" for the fixture that will go with the 40 gal.

Thanks for the help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
18" fixture will be the T 8 --- and it will need to go inside the tank approx 8-10 inches from basking - the 36" fixture would be the T 5-- it needs to be 12-15 inches from basking w/ no screen not sure how your going to get that one situated w/ no screen I would not get any longer as they need to be able to get out of the UVB rays w/ out hiding from them -- I am using a 24" and it works good - the difference between the two is the strength of the bulbs and how often you change them out - the T 8 is every 6 months the T 5 one time a year --
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome!

The difference between the t8 and the t5s is that the t5s are high output bulbs that are effectively twice as strong as the t8s. So in larger (taller) tanks, the t5 is preferred. or in tanks where you need to have the uvb ontop of the screen.

The t8 needs to be around 8 inches from the basking surface unobstructed.
The t5 needs to be around 12 inches from the basking surface unobstructed or around 8 inches if its placed on top of the screen.

You can get the t5 or t8 in both of those sizes you are asking about. So it all comes down to how you are going to place them. That determines which one you should get :)

-Brandon

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I can easily mount a light inside the 120 gal. It's also an open top aquarium so nothing will obstruct any basking lights I set up out of the tank.

I'm unsure what to do about the 40 gal because it has a screen lid that slides closed. Any suggestions?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
All depends on how far away the basking site will be. Use the measurements I gave you to determine which would be best for your situation. :)

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
DragonQueen3":3vg9xt80 said:
Pancake and Bubba decided to meet each other today.
They even licked each other's feet
107227-2272978947.jpg

That's so sweet! Not gonna say be careful and keep close eye on them, you have that much sense. ?
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Cool picture :) It's always fun to see the size differences.

It was a while back ,but did you ever get your uv situated?

-Brandon

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi, Brandon.

I ended up buying a reptisun T8 bulb for my 18in fixture. I thought it was going to be brighter? But maybe that's because it's on top of his screen. I know it should be inside but the fixture would be too close if I mount it that way.

He seems fine and is pooping regularly. (Normally in his food or water dish?) heres a picture
107227-1069462216.jpg

Ps. I know red lights aren't the best, our white bulb went out this morning and I'll be getting another tomorrow

DragonQueen3

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi everybody.

So I think Pancake and Forrest will be having babies. Eggs are currently incubating at the reptile shop.

I have some family members and friend that are wanting some of the eggs so I'm trying to figure out my babies colors/genetics.

I know Pancake is a normal beardie, but I'm wondering if she has a color morph or Not?? She is from Petco and labelled as an "Assorted bearded dragon" she was between $100-110.
107227-2611401757.jpg

I know Forrest is a leatherback and he is red.
Do I just describe him as a red leatherback? Or maybe tangerine, etc.
107227-2844638210.jpg

Thanks for any opinions and help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom