Bearded dragon has one eye closed looks kind of swollen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, recently I upgraded my beardies tank to a bigger one so I had to get new bulbs. My uvb fixture broke and I couldn't afford a new one right now so I switched to the 100 watt powersun uvb and heat light. Today, I've noticed that he has been keeping his one eye closed. He hardly opens his eye except for when I try to move him and then he shuts it again. Could this light be hurting his eye or is it another issue? Is he too close to the light? I've been having issues keeping his whole tank warm now that it's so much deeper than his old one. He doesn't seem to be moving around much either. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am not sure about the eye can you get a pic of the other eye to compare it ---- also I would get rid of the sand ---- you can replace w/ textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store --- its cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle --- insects cannot get underneath ----- the all in one I am not savy about what is the brand and bulb wattage - ? Others on here would be able to help w/ the placement and recommendations for what you should do to get temps up - how are you taking the temps ? infrared heat gun digital probe ? stick on?
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The 100w PowerSun should sit about 12'' above the main basking area. Maybe a little closer since it's shining through a mesh top. They are pretty good MVBs so if you're getting adequate surface temps in the basking area I don't imagine it would cause a problem. The eye looks OK just closed. I don't see crust or mucous buildup that might indicate infection. It's possible that there is something caught in it causing some irritation. It could be a piece of sand or it could be something like a piece of shedding skin. You can try rinsing it with some plain saline solution and see if that helps. If he continues to keep it closed then a vet visit might be good. They should have the ability to take a closer look in and around the eye for any irritants.

Skylerrain

Original Poster
KarrieRee":284aa7av said:
I am not sure about the eye can you get a pic of the other eye to compare it ---- also I would get rid of the sand ---- you can replace w/ textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement store --- its cheap and easy to clean w/ vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle --- insects cannot get underneath ----- the all in one I am not savy about what is the brand and bulb wattage - ? Others on here would be able to help w/ the placement and recommendations for what you should do to get temps up - how are you taking the temps ? infrared heat gun digital probe ? stick on?
Karrie
I'll definitely try to get a pic of the other one at home, thinking I'm just gonna suck it up and get the tube uvb light I was using and switch back to regular heating. His basking spot temp ranges from 90-95 but the hot end on the ground only gets 70-75 which I'm concerned about.. (Thinking I may have to lower the basking light and get a higher watt heating lamp) The bulb was the zoo med powersun mvb at 100 watts and I use a digital probe to get my temps. Definitely gonna check out the shelf liner because I hate the sand and I'm worried that could be what's irritating him.

Skylerrain

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3utuhytb said:
The 100w PowerSun should sit about 12'' above the main basking area. Maybe a little closer since it's shining through a mesh top. They are pretty good MVBs so if you're getting adequate surface temps in the basking area I don't imagine it would cause a problem. The eye looks OK just closed. I don't see crust or mucous buildup that might indicate infection. It's possible that there is something caught in it causing some irritation. It could be a piece of sand or it could be something like a piece of shedding skin. You can try rinsing it with some plain saline solution and see if that helps. If he continues to keep it closed then a vet visit might be good. They should have the ability to take a closer look in and around the eye for any irritants.
Thank you so much this eases my mind a lot! I'm quite worried I had the light too close to his basking spot now (probably like 7" but it was the only spot that would get up to temp) but I'm going to try the rinse and hope for the best

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If you go to the regular basking bulb it is trial and error for those - you can start w/ the 100 watt - what are you getting the basking temp on the hammock? and its 70 underneath the hammock ? I would redo the tank - here is what I would do I am going to give you ideas --- first ditch the sand - next take the hammock and put on the cooler side of the tank and take the log decor piece and sit it under the basking bulb and UVB when you replace it --- the decor piece under the basking light is going to give him different temps to bask in - other wise known as a gradient heat --- how tall is the tank ? And the screen looks like its a fine mesh --- the Reptisun 10.0 T 5 is a good strong bulb and it would need to be 12-15 inches from the basking decor piece inside the tank - if you use it on top of screen it would need to be 6-8 inches from the decor piece - the screen filters out 30% of those rays --- so I would get a measurement of the decor piece you want to use and go from there on the bulb - you can get a T 8 but it would haft to go inside the tank for sure approx 8-10 inches from decor piece --
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, normally the Powersun 100 watt MVB is safe, it is probably a little bit too close
right now. I think moving it a little further will most likely fix the eye issue starting up right
now.
For now, you can get some sterile saline solution to wash it out daily to help out, if you
need to. Is he still eating right now?

Tracie

Skylerrain

Original Poster
Hey sorry for the late reply. His eye issue seems to be clearing up now. He has been opening it longer the past few days. He has been eating his circkets and worms as he usually does but won't touch his salad now which I didn't have a problem getting him to eat them before. I'm thinking he might be going into brumation now. He sits under his basking spot and sleeps all day. If I wake him he will stay awake for a little but not very long. I know this is normal for some of them to go through this but I'm worried with it happening so close/during this eye issue that it's a sign there is something else wrong? I don't know he seems okay otherwise maybe I am just worrying too much. Changed his heat light and now his basking temp sits at a comfortable 98-105. Also took out the substrate and changed the tank around like suggested and its helping with the heating issue on the hot side as well.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They do tend to get lazy this time of year --- keep an eye on his weight - take it like every couple of weeks - you can use a kitchen scale and weigh in grams-- if hes losing a lot of weight there is an issue if hes sustaining or only losing a little your good - as long as he is hydrated basking and pooping even every few days or once a week your fine - keep track of the weight ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom