Puff H. Bailey's "new blog" (belated)

This forum is specifically for people who want to share day-to-day stories about their beardies... the weird or fun stuff. This is not a forum for seeking help, but more just for sharing the cuteness that is your beardie.

Re: Puff H. Bailey's "new blog" (belated)

Postby SHBailey » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:28 am

So another month+ has gone by, and Alaska is in the middle of a record breaking heat wave and a really bad fire season. :( Trying to keep Puff at his preferred temperatures without making it too hot for his human slaves has been a challenge. I have the heat lamps off at the cool end of the tank and they are turned down at the warm end, still shooting for his normal basking temperatures so it’s available to him if he chooses to go “upstairs” and bask.

He still seems pretty serious about being in semi-brumation for the first time in his life, but we’re still giving him his baths almost every day and offering him bugs. He usually eats a few every other day, along with some butternut squash which is currently the only vegetable that he seems to like – not much for greens. (Back to normal :roll: ) His weight is fairly stable, so we’re not too worried about him at the moment. He doesn’t appear to be sick otherwise, so we’re chalking it up to brumation in the middle of a hot summer (go figure :? ) unless we get a reason to believe otherwise -- then it would be off to the vet again.

I hope everyone else and their beardies and other family members are doing well. :)
SHBailey
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby SHBailey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:28 pm

Hi folks...
It's been a long time since I posted anything, so here's the latest...

Puff is still hanging in there. Our beardie garden was a semi success, at least as far as the mustard greens were concerned. They even flowered and my husband is hoping to save the seeds for this next summer. The endives and the collards didn't do so well, and barely got past their embryonic leaves. We picked some of the little ones for Puff, but he was not particularly impressed -- his usual reaction to veggies. :roll:

His weight is currently fairly stable at around 500 grams, a little lower than I'd like it to be but still holding his own. He gets offered bugs and veggies almost every day, and usually scarfs the bugs (crickets and roaches) with much enthusiasm. Occasionaly we splurge with a few hornworms and he loOOoves those. :love10: Likes squash too -- we get him butternut or kabocha. Greens not so much, but occasionally he will accept a leaf or two if we hand feed it to him.

The lump in his wrist which gave us a cancer scare got bigger again. This time it was full of blood, so the vet is thinking the problem may be vascular. There are some surgical options, but we agreed that would be too drastic at this point. Cytology already confirmed that it's not cancer. We figure it was an old injury that got inflamed. He's a klutz and probably banged his wrist on something in his tank. We have him surrounded by soft things now -- towels and crocheted stuff. He's going to have to get really creative if he wants to hurt himself now. The vet approves. No driftwood and rocks for this one.

He's been napping in his hide on and off, especially in June and then a little more lately. Stayed mostly awake in the fall. Seems to have his biological clock set for the southern hemisphere again, like the time he went hormonal right around the winter solstice. :? But he still eats well, so not real serious about brumating, which is good. I wouldn't want him to, since I don't think he's quite healthy enough for it.

Puff will be 8 years old this spring -- guestimated since we don't know for sure exactly how old he is because he was a rescue. Although I have heard rumors of beardies living into their late teens, our vet says that in her experience, most of them are getting pretty geriatric by the time they get into the double digits. So between age and adenovirus, we can hope to have a maybe a couple more years with him. He is our first and last beardie. It would not be fair to my husband to get another one because of my situation -- he gets stuck with all the hard work when I'm not up to it.

But in the meantime, Puff gets a cuddle or two almost every day and seems to tolerate it if not actually enjoy it, and we plan to continue to take the best possible care of him for whatever time he has left.

Extremely cold here in Anchorage with subzero temperatures almost every day this last month. But we manage to keep ourselves warm enough with the heater and Puff warm with his heat lamps.

Will try to keep in touch with anyone with anyone who is still following this thread... :)
SHBailey
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:42 pm

I wonder if silkworms or serrapeptase doses would help with the inflammation.
CooperDragon

Postby SHBailey » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:28 pm

One of our vets was going to do some research on serrapeptase, but I haven't heard back from him.

Puff loves just about any kind of worm, so he'd probably like silkworms, but I gave up on finding anyone who will ship them to Alaska. :(
SHBailey
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby CooperDragon » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:37 pm

They can be hard to get anywhere at times. Best option (but more work) is to buy the eggs and raise them in batches. Kingofnobbys has posted some guides on that. I think Tracie carries serrapeptase on her site though.
CooperDragon

Postby SHBailey » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:07 pm

Thanks for the info, CooperDragon.

Yeah, I entertained the thought of raising my own silkworms -- even thought of letting some of them complete their life cycle so I could play around with spinning the silk (as well as get a new batch of eggs), but I decided against it -- too much work, and no mulberry bushes in this climate so I would have had to get the special food. Not worth it, and besides, I couldn't even find anyone who would ship the eggs and the kits up here. Oh well. :roll:

Meanwhile, Puff is doing well. The lump on his wrist is still there but doesn't seem to be getting any bigger for the time being -- even seems to be healing somewhat since the last time it was drained. He shed part of the skin off of that one little spot, which is probably a good sign. Shedding is sometimes part of the healing process. :)

It has "warmed up" here to temperatures around freezing and we're expecting a little snow -- storms coming up from the south. Puff is still napping in his hide on and off.
SHBailey
Sub-Adult Poster

Postby MufasasMomMakayla » Sat Feb 08, 2020 6:47 pm

So nice to hear an update on you guys! Hope Puff continues to do well and you both enjoy your cuddles.
Bearded Dragons: 0.2 Normal (Mufasa), Normal (Norberta)
Cat: 0.1 Tortoiseshell (Butterscotch)
Ball Pythons: 0.1 Ghost (Olympia)
Hermit Crabs 1.2 Purple Pincher (Tyler), Purple Pincher (Londyn Raine), Purple Pincher (Meena)
MufasasMomMakayla
Juvie Poster

Postby SHBailey » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:15 pm

Nice to hear from you too. :D How is(are) your beardies(s) doing?

Puff had put on a few grams at his weighing this last weekend, which is a good thing. He still scarfs crickets and roaches with much enthusiasm, and veggies not so much. :mrgreen:

He also pooped on me right after his bath, which is not such a good thing. He'd been good about pooping in the water for a while so we can just dump it down the drain, so I guess we were due for a little accident. My husband wrapped him in a towel after his bath and gave him to me to cuddle (standard operating procedure when I'm having one of my better days), and I felt him arch his tail under the towel and then smelled this aroma... Oh well. Like I always say, if you have animals or babies, you have to get over being squeamish about poop or else it can make your life pretty miserable. :puke: As it was, just a little more complicated to clean up, soaking a few things with alcohol, and a little extra laundry.

Thus begins another week of basking, napping, cuddling, and pigging out on bugs. :)
SHBailey
Sub-Adult Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Previous

Return to Beardie Tales