I’m scared of my dragons!

Status
Not open for further replies.
107200-2996389619.jpg
Hi everyone,

I recently adopted two female bearded dragons. They are approximately 14 weeks old. They are in separate terrariums. Please don’t get me wrong, I love them very much. This is Day 3 of them being home. I haven’t been able to enjoy this experience yet. I’ve had little sleep since they came home. Firstly, the crickets are a nightmare. I ordered worms from the worm lady so that will fix the cricket situation. I am scared of my dragons. I try to pick them up everyday but they are so scared too. I want to bond with them so bad but I’m scared. I will do anything to get comfortable with them but I don’t know what to do besides pick them up. I would love some advice. I am not giving up or returning them to the breeder. I really want this to work.
Thanks for listening.
Darquise

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First they are gonna go thru relocation stress so eating is gonna be off if your husbandry is correct they won't quit eating all together- next they are going to pick up on your nervousness- so you need to relax and be patient w/ them-- and you should not let your self get so stressed- what is making you scared of them? Since they are so young handle them a little at a time- they need to get to know you and learn to trust you-- cleaning their tanks feeding them by hand their vegies worms etc will help--- maybe put a piece of your clothing something soft in their tanks so they get used to your scent- be patient it will take time
Karrie

Yodabeardiemom

Original Poster
Hi Karrie

Thank you for your replies. I will post pics of my terrariums tomorrow because I think you might be able to help me with that. I guess I’m scared that they will bite me or escape. They are so skittish and fast! I will put something of mine with my scent in their terrariums also, thank you for that.

Darquise

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Only handle them in the tank or right outside the tank so your close to their tanks w/ them being skittish - I would wait a week to let them get used to their environment before handling too much - but start w/ the hands in the tank -- consistency of same routine will also help them adjust as well -- I would keep them apart only bringing them out one at a time as well --- dragons should not be together especially males - male / female then you run the risk of them breeding when you dont want to and I know you said they were both females are you sure they are both females?
Karrie

Yodabeardiemom

Original Poster
Actually, I am not sure if they are both female. I was told they were but have not checked. I do have them in separate terrariums though.

I'll send you a picture of my set up cause I know I need help to make it better for them.

thanks!

Darquise

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can take a pic of their butts w/ tails in the air and some can look to see what they are
Karrie

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
Hi and welcome! I want to suggest one small idea, pet them in their tank. When you do your routine of cleaning or feeding take your pointer and index fingers to gently stroke down their back. Touching does not have to involve picking up. You and your dragons are still getting to know each other. Most dragons don't mind their back being pet. Some can be picky about their head, legs, or tail and you can learn if your dragon has any preference like moving away if you pet their tail.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so where is the UVB's? How are you taking basking temps? NO stick ons --- these first two things I am asking are the MOST IMPORTANT THING IN THAT TANK- basking temps should be 105-110 for babies taken w/ a infrared heat gun or digital probes- probes can be purchased from petco or petsmart for $5 - you need them the infrared heat gun from your local home improvement stores for $10-12 - the UVB needs to be a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or T 8 -- you are going to need two of them - I would suggest this website for the fixtures they have one there for $32 - I am checking to see if they got them back in stock they were supposed to get them in today -- but you need a fixture / hood w/ a reflector and this place has them for the lowest cost that I have found - what is in the dome that sits on the far right?
Karrie

Yodabeardiemom

Original Poster
The UVB is on the left and the right dome is my ceramic heat emitter. I use my infrared heat gun to check the temps. The right side is 100-110 depending on where I point it and the left side (UVB) is 80-90.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So the UVB/ basking is all in one? The heat emitter you dont need unless your tanks are dropping below 65 at nite -- I am not savvy on the all in one I just know they need to be certain distances from basking and if your getting the basking temps of 100-110 that is good - as far as the UVB I have not a clue -- I guess I would watch their poops - they need to be moist formed and dark and the urate formed moist and white -- make sure they keep eating and appetites increase - if anything is off w/ that you will need to check your lighting -- what kind of all in one are you using ? brand and bulb? They need insects and I know you dont like the crickets so hopefully the worm lady can help you out - what did you order from her? It looks like shes got all kinds of worms I would suggest you use some small super worms 1-3 and butter worms to lure the dragons to their salads in the morning the phoenix worms are a good staple feeder - you may want to feed them slow tho to fast eating you will get undigested worms in the poop - but you want them eating their salads first thing in the morning - and they will need A LOT of the phoenix worms because they are so small - so order large ones -- reptiworms are the same as the phoenix calci BSFL worm -- you need to add those worms to the salads and let them see you do this it will get their attention to that bowl - you will need a glass bowl so the worms cant get out of here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html-- it will tell what to feed how often to feed and what not to feed
Karrie

Yodabeardiemom

Original Poster
Hi Karrie,

Ok so I made a lot of changes. First of all I purchased the stick on thermometers for the second terrarium. I was taken the temps with my infrared gun but I forgot to stick those in the interior.
I ordered my reptisun T5 x2 and I increased the wattage of the basking lights. I determined that my tank does NOT drop below 65 degrees so no need for the ceramic heat emitter. I ordered super worms, black soldier fly larva and butterworms.
My beardies are acting very strange. One day one will eat and the other won't and then the next day it's the opposite. They both will not touch their salads. I tried many different varieties of veggies but still nothing. Today is day 5 of the move so I'm thinking maybe they are still adjusting.

thanks!
Darquise

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Infrared heat gun is good -- stick ons not so good -- leave them and get two digital probes from petco or petsmart -- use your heat gun to get your basking temps - point 2-4 inches from basking decor and gun needs to be inside the tank - so the salad deal are they eating at all ? - take a glass bowl that the worms cant get out of make your salad add those super 1-3 and your BSFL to the salad make sure they see you do this it will draw them to the bowl -- what are you using for staple feeder crickets ? roaches? It may take them a while for their appetites to ramp up but they should not quit eating all together-- what are you getting for basking temps? They should be 105-110 --- the T 5's when they come will either need to go inside the tank of approx 12-15 inches from basking decor - they need to be able to sit directly under that light -- if you dont have the room inside the tank it can go on top - if it goes on top what is the screen mesh ? is it fine or wide holed? let me know
Karrie

Yodabeardiemom

Original Poster
ok I'll get the probes tomorrow. They aren't eating any of my salad. Tomorrow morning I will put the worms in their dish like you said. My basking temps are 110 or so. Right now I have the dome UVB light and there's nothing under it for the dragon to sit on. I'll have to get something?
I'm feeding them crickets still yes. Also I got butterworms and wax worms from the breeder because my order from the worm lady won't make it here till Thursday. The top my my tanks are screened meshed and fine holed.

thanks!
Darquise

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Fine screen the UVB should go inside if the tank height will allow it - if you can strap the fixture to the top of the screen how far is the screen to the floor of the tank - it needs to be atleast 12 inches from the piece of decor under it --- depending how tall the decor piece is you can find something low - or if you have it on top of the screen the decor piece would need to be 6-8 inches from that bulb - the screen filters out 30% of those rays --- petsmart has really nice decor for dragons --- figure out what you need to do for inches your working w/ and then decide what you want to do --- you can use plastic zip ties - fishing line - picture wire hanger- 3M velcro fasteners - shoe laces - boot laces to hang the fixture ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom