Brumation???

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmaude3655

We have a juvenile bearded dragon that we purchased about 6 weeks ago. Last week he became constipated (my fault). Thanks to all of the great info here we have worked through that and he is now showing normal poop. As soon as he seemed to be through with the constipation ( I used pure pumpkin and Olive oil to correct this) he SEEMS to be in intimation. He is still basking, his eyes are closed and he seems very lethargic and not interested in eating. I'm worried that something is wrong that I'm just not picking up on. He is also "gasping" which he has never done before. The basking side of his viv is 92 degrees and the cool side is 71 degrees. He has eco carpet and daylight blue zoo med 100 watt with heat, daylight and via. What am I missing? I'm getting really worried

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ditch the blue light --- they disrupt sleep and cause eye issues --- she needs a bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110 taken w/ a infrared heat gun and / or digital probe --- next you said nothing about a UVB---------- these two light are the MOST important thing in that tank along w/ basking temps--- if you have NO UVB get one ASAP --- we will recommend what you need for a UVB please tell me what size tank you have----- NO COILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Karrie

mmaude3655

Original Poster
He does have uvb. Thanks to autocorrect and my inability to proof read my post it showed as via. We just got back from the vet. Yes it is that bad. His belly is very dark and the vet suspects a possible perforation. She said it could not be a perforation. She gave him some fluids and sent some emeritus home with us. Going to let him warm up for a couple of hours and give him a little of that. She said the next 24 to 48 hours will tell us whether or not this is survivable We will be back in touch with the vet tomorrow. We will be paying close attention. Thank you for answering so quickly and sorry for the confusion about the uvb light. Love that this community exists.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What are you using for a UVB --- what is this emeritus ? He does or does not have a perforation? I would up your basking temps to 95-110- 90 is too low --- and he is not feeling well -- we need Tracie to weigh in on this as well --- she is our vet moderator -- please PM her find her name Drache613 and tell her what is going on w/ your dragon - get a second opinion from her and post pics of your dragon
Karrie

mmaude3655

Original Poster
I took him to a vet yesterday but to no avail. He passed away yesterday afternoon. My daughter is heartbroken. The vet doesn't believe he had a perforation as he was passing stool. We really aren't sure what happened. The vet said there was probably more than one issue with his health. I thank you all for your willingness to help and communicate. IF we get another beardie he/she will immediately be vet checked for parasites and anything else that could be wrong.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am sorry about your dragon---- if and when you get another dragon please sanitize the tank you have now before bringing another one home since you dont exactly what he passed from --- next please go over the husbandry of the tank so we can see if you had the correct lighting -- the blue light was a no no-- all this plays a huge roll in their health ---- we can help get the proper equipment before something happens like this again -- again I am sorry about your baby
Karrie

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
mmaude3655":20sfb6i0 said:
I took him to a vet yesterday but to no avail. He passed away yesterday afternoon.

I'm sorry for your & daughters' loss. Sometimes, despite being hardy creatures, and perfect husbandry, they can--and do--still crash. This may be no fault of yours. The best therapy for you may be to start over if/when you're ready.

I don't know where you got the first one, but in addition to Karrie's good advice about sanitizing the enclosure, I'd recommend getting one from a reputable breeder rather than a pet store chain, where you don't know the ultimate source, or what kinds of problems may be coming with it.

Best Wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom