Random fluffing and bearding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I've had my bearded for a few years now and we moved a while ago (over two years now) she had no problem (My bearded dragon Spyra) but now out of the blue she keeps fluffing, normally i wouldn't find this odd except she only does it in one particular area of the room and only after she opens her eyes from a map. This is the third time i have woken up to find my bearded dragon fluffing at the air and it's starting to make me worried, with this behavior she refuses to eat any fruits or vegetables and will only eat mealworms or crickets despite the numerous options we give her. I've looked for answers but I personally haven't found any does anyone know what this could possibly be? Im sixteen and I'm probably overreacting but better safe than sorry I suppose, none of my parents have had bearded dragons so they are lost as well some advice and help would be great.

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
Sounds like she might be being startled by something. Have you recently changed her viv, its position, gotten any new pets, etc.? Is there a ceiling fan in the room or something else hanging from the ceiling? Can she see her reflection or is she near to a window where she might be seeing something outside (beardies have sharp vision)? All of these things might spook a beardie and cause this behavior. If none of the above, has she recently come out of brumation? My one guy is all excited now after waking up, running around like a nut, randomly bobbing & bearding and tearing up his viv.

Mysticbeardie

Original Poster
Aaradimian":40e2mden said:
Sounds like she might be being startled by something. Have you recently changed her viv, its position, gotten any new pets, etc.? Is there a ceiling fan in the room or something else hanging from the ceiling? Can she see her reflection or is she near to a window where she might be seeing something outside (beardies have sharp vision)? All of these things might spook a beardie and cause this behavior. If none of the above, has she recently come out of brumation? My one guy is all excited now after waking up, running around like a nut, randomly bobbing & bearding and tearing up his viv.

Her tank is all the same I've had the fan a while and when it's on while she's out she goes and sits in front of it like a nut but it hasn't been on lately, she hasn't moved anywhere new and I have no pets in my room for fear they might hurt her. I think she was brumating not to long ago but im not exactly sure because she would always be hyper and running around, she has however just gotten over an eye infection which was horrifying me because for a small while all she would do was sit around and sleep and not do anything besides occasionally eating and taking sips of water. But now that I think about it her night light blue a few nights ago and i haven't had the money to replace it but she never sleeps in her cage because she sleeps in the bed surrounded in her favorite blankets and stuffed animals. (She used to when she was little but now she helps with my night terrors and she won't sleep in her tank she only runs and glass surfs unless it's early morning and her cartoons are on then she sits on her net hammock thing and watches the television.)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Get rid of the blue light- it disrupts sleep and can cause eye issues- dragons like it cool and dark- please tell us what your using for a UVB-- brand and bulb -- the nite light is telling me other lights are not right-- I would make her sleep.in her tank w/ her favorite things and NO NITE LIGHT
-- see if her fluffing bearding thing stops
Karrie

Mysticbeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2u5we012 said:
Get rid of the blue light- it disrupts sleep and can cause eye issues- dragons like it cool and dark- please tell us what your using for a UVB-- brand and bulb -- the nite light is telling me other lights are not right-- I would make her sleep.in her tank w/ her favorite things and NO NITE LIGHT
-- see if her fluffing bearding thing stops
Karrie

I'll find the bulb box for her uvb and I've tried getting her to sleep in her tank she won't she just stays up running then becomes Moody and won't eat

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
I'm not an expert, so I could be mistaken, but this sounds like either environment or hormones. As I mentioned, one of mine's in a bit of a mood right now after his nap, so this might not be anything to worry about.

Does she have a hide in her viv that she can retreat to if she feels the need? If not, it might be good to get one & see if she hangs out in it a lot. Excluding brumation, if a beardie hides a lot, it could be a sign of something not quite right in their environment or they're not feeling well. Unfortunately since they don't have the capacity to tell us if/when things are wrong, it's trial & error sometimes, and sometimes after all our worrying, it turns out it's just a "kooky beardie thing" :D

Mysticbeardie

Original Poster
Aaradimian":1y1khw25 said:
I'm not an expert, so I could be mistaken, but this sounds like either environment or hormones. As I mentioned, one of mine's in a bit of a mood right now after his nap, so this might not be anything to worry about.

Does she have a hide in her viv that she can retreat to if she feels the need? If not, it might be good to get one & see if she hangs out in it a lot. Excluding brumation, if a beardie hides a lot, it could be a sign of something not quite right in their environment or they're not feeling well. Unfortunately since they don't have the capacity to tell us if/when things are wrong, it's trial & error sometimes, and sometimes after all our worrying, it turns out it's just a "kooky beardie thing" :D

She has a hide she doesn't use it just keeps attempting to escape and when she finally gets out like she wants she runs to her part of the bed and goes to sleep or will chill and relax where she is at but only when she is out of her viv.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Doe she bask? What have you tried feeding her as far as insect? What are you using for a UVB? brand and bulb ?
Karrie

Mysticbeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ire3esc said:
Doe she bask? What have you tried feeding her as far as insect? What are you using for a UVB? brand and bulb ?
Karrie

She basks a lot sometimes but then goes to running as far as insects go they don't sell much so i feed her mealworms and crickets and I attempt to give her fruits and veggies but she won't take them, Im still looking for the uvb bulb box.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can look on the bulb itself it will tell you what it is--- I am going to give you some websites for ordering insects and worms on line most people on here order on line since its cheaper at times and petco and petsmart dont carry alot of anything besided of what your getting
www.symtonbsf.com ------ BSFL they are a great staple feeder and you dont need to dust - I use them as a lure to the salad bowl and you can feed as many as you want
www.dubiaroaches.com - I order butter worms horn worms from them they are good and fast - horn worms are hydrating worm order small amounts as they grow really fast - butter worms are a good worm to feed they are out at this time
www.http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ I order silk worms from here and here
www.https://reptilianarts.com/
here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html it will tell you what to feed how often to feed and what not to feed
Karrie

Mysticbeardie

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1lcgyeyx said:
You can look on the bulb itself it will tell you what it is--- I am going to give you some websites for ordering insects and worms on line most people on here order on line since its cheaper at times and petco and petsmart dont carry alot of anything besided of what your getting
http://www.symtonbsf.com ------ BSFL they are a great staple feeder and you dont need to dust - I use them as a lure to the salad bowl and you can feed as many as you want
http://www.dubiaroaches.com - I order butter worms horn worms from them they are good and fast - horn worms are hydrating worm order small amounts as they grow really fast - butter worms are a good worm to feed they are out at this time
www.http://www.mulberryfarms.com/ I order silk worms from here and here
www.https://reptilianarts.com/
here is a website for nutrition
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html it will tell you what to feed how often to feed and what not to feed
Karrie

thanks i'll let my moms know about the insects and see if i can at all convince my bearded to finally sleep in her viv.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom