Beardie has no joints... please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's good he is hanging in there then. Maybe he has been getting too hot.
I'm glad to hear you have adjusted his UVB light distance. Hopefully that will help out if the
UVB is a bit stronger for him.
Which liquid calcium did you purchase, which brand?
Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Jordanmecale

Hi! Reading your story with your beardy, I can sympathize SO much! My beardy has/had the same issues! The vet was dumb founded with her joints! At first she thought they were non existent, but then she read blood work and found that Ophelia (my beardy) had a bone infection which was causing her joints to basically be eaten away. We did several rounds of antibiotics and steroids(for the pain), but nothing seemed to completely help. The infection seemed better in 3 of her joints after a few months, but worse in one of her back legs. About a month ago, we had to have her back leg amputated due to the infection spreading. I’m SO glad we opted to have bloodwork done, otherwise we wouldn’t have known about the infection. Ophelia is doing SO well now and recovering great! I hope you’re able to find some answers. 100% recommend researching an exotic vet that has a good rep with reptiles and going to get some bloodwork done, it made all the difference for us! I hope you’re at least a little encouraged that others have struggled with the same issue and there’s hope for your beardy! :)

WarpedHowl

Original Poster
Jordanmecale":bxfblj6j said:
Hi! Reading your story with your beardy, I can sympathize SO much! My beardy has/had the same issues! The vet was dumb founded with her joints! At first she thought they were non existent, but then she read blood work and found that Ophelia (my beardy) had a bone infection which was causing her joints to basically be eaten away. We did several rounds of antibiotics and steroids(for the pain), but nothing seemed to completely help. The infection seemed better in 3 of her joints after a few months, but worse in one of her back legs. About a month ago, we had to have her back leg amputated due to the infection spreading. I’m SO glad we opted to have bloodwork done, otherwise we wouldn’t have known about the infection. Ophelia is doing SO well now and recovering great! I hope you’re able to find some answers. 100% recommend researching an exotic vet that has a good rep with reptiles and going to get some bloodwork done, it made all the difference for us! I hope you’re at least a little encouraged that others have struggled with the same issue and there’s hope for your beardy! :)

Thank you for telling me about this. I was absolutely devastated when I read this. He's only half or 1/3 of what he will be so the vet told me it's not looking good for his future and what not since he's only 7ish months. I'll ask to do a bloodwork and mention this to them, thank you so much. How old is Ophelia?

WarpedHowl

Original Poster
Drache613":mfssvzhe said:
Hello,

That's good he is hanging in there then. Maybe he has been getting too hot.
I'm glad to hear you have adjusted his UVB light distance. Hopefully that will help out if the
UVB is a bit stronger for him.
Which liquid calcium did you purchase, which brand?
Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

I purchased flukes liquid calcium

Jordanmecale

Ophelia was around 6-7 months when she started having issues with her legs, so right around the same age as your beardy! Our vet too, said she thought it most likely had to do with breeding mutation issues :( Ophelia just hit a year old, so we’re super hopeful after her leg was amputated that she’s on the road to a long beardy life! Hoping the same for your little scaly baby too! :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, a blood test is the best way to determine what could be internally going on.
Without that, most of the times it is just a guessing game.
The Flukers calcium is ok, just use a syringe or dropper to give a few drops daily.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom