All Our Origins

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiseWolf

Hey, everyone,

I'm wondering from where everyone acquired their bearded dragons? My first one came from a breeder at the All Cleveland Reptile Show. My next one is likely coming from Daichu Dragons. Please let me know your beardies' origins! :study:

Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
First one was from the high school my daughter brought home as a summer babysitting job - had never even seen one before - the next one was from a breeder / store owner and the newest one was from a girl that had a aquarium / reptile store that bred her own as well and then closed the store - I got him from her he is now 7 months old and doing very well -- same w/ my oldest
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Breeder for my dragons . https://www.petpages.com.au/company/irenenowak/4406

Nice lady who keeps and breeds centrals, rankins , and eastern water dragons who lives nearby (@ little town near Williamtown called Bob's Farm , which is handy as I have a brother in law who lives in the same street) . She's a retired widower who does this for a hobby.
Her hatchlings are bred from the yellow male to different females and she makes sure if a buyer wants a mixed pair of hatchlings , they are not from the same clutch.

DorgEndo

Sub-Adult Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Devlyn
First dragon George when I was still a kid come from a local pet shop. Probably from a mass breeder, I was too young to know better.

Devlyn probably came from Reptiles by Mack, just a guess. Original owner bought her at a mom & pop pet store that closed shortly after Devlyn was sold. I wanted receive a dragon who needed to be rehomed and my husband found her on Craiglist. Original owner had all sorts of life problems and was rehoming many pets. All credit to my husband helping me fill my wish of having a dragon again. Devlyn has a lot to thank him for and she treats my husband very nicely.

I love this idea! I'm always curious where people acquire their pets from. I feel like I fall under the " by stroke of luck" umbrella.

I was managing a rescue event for Forgotten Friends Reptile Sanctuary here in PA and out of curiosity (and my general desire to rescue all things) inquired who they brought that was up for adoption, he reaches into a container and out pops this giant yellow dragon. I hung out with him for a while and by the next day reached out about adopting him. Spent that week doing research and prepping his house and I got him the following weekend!

(I found out after a long conversation with the organization I was never officially able to find out where he came from, he'd been left at a vets and a member of the group took him and then surrendered him to the rescue but ultimately he was having a hard time finding a home because he wasn't the standard calm beardie...a little "fiesty" was how he was described.)

I don't know that I'd ever buy one from a breeder but I also don't consider myself as avid of an owner as many of the folks here. I love my beardie and we have good fun but I consider myself and my home a sanctuary for whomever needs it and honestly, the field I'm in, I feel like I'll always come across a little beardie who needs a retirement home :mrgreen: :blob8:

Aaradimian

Juvie Member
My 1st was a Petco dragon bought as a baby and our second was originally a rescue that someone rehabilitated. He was probably around 9 months old, but hard to tell. Both are gooooooood dragons :D

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Here's the origins of my crew. And their previous names!

First one, Cisco was from a Craigslist ad by someone who lost interest. (Formerly Rex).

Second one, Thor was from a crappy "rescue" breeder at repticon in November '17. We didn't know that the people we got him from were crappy until a few days afterwards when we visited their shop on my birthday, I won't go into details but you can read about the whole thing here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=247278&hilit=+Thor (formerly Jeff?).

Third one, Daisy was from a church friend's boss who didn't want her anymore. And they had 3 cats that would try and get into her tank and they decided that would also be too stressful for Daisy. (Formerly Mavis).

Fourth one, Loki was from a friend of ours who was going to college and couldn't bring him. (Formerly Dexter).

Fifth one, Rocket Was from a guy on Craigslist who accidentally ended up with a clutch of beardlings and took pretty good care of them all, but my mom surprised me with him a few months after Cisco had passed. And the little dude has grown a ton in the single year. (Formerly Unknown)

Sixth one, Phoenix was from another church friend who couldn't tame her down because she was very skittish and flighty and apparently bit them a lot, And asked if we wanted to try and tame her. She's doing great now, fully handtame and doesn't freak out anymore. (Formerly spike).

And finally, My seventh one, Mulder was from someone who was moving and had to get rid of their dragons. So we took the little disabled dude. (Formerly Buddy).
That's the names and origins of my whole crew so far! :blob5:

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I knew I should have gone with a breeder, and will do so if and when I get a second dragon... probably Daichu, as I see them all the time at our closest reptile fair... but Figment is a pet store (Petco) dragon. I just couldn't bear to leave this pretty little dragon in a pet store to be bought by who knows who, with likely misinformation about care and maintenance.

To my surprise, his first wellness checkup just before Christmas was clear of all the usual problems you can expect with pet store critters... no parasites, skin in good conditions, no signs of MBD. He's about 7-8 months old now and doing great!

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
So my Petey belonged to my son and daughterinlaw for over a year. Him and his sister (clutchmate) were given to them with tanks, lights, decor, etc. They were about a year old when they got them. Original owners had bought 2 'males'. Supposedly. Ended up with a dozen babies. Sold some, gave some away, still had several and I think overwhelmed. Offered 2 with full set ups to son. He accepted.
I was familiar with Petey and his sis cause I pet sit for son when they go out of town several times a year. Last year about Oct, DIL complained there was just too much to handle. They each have businesses, plus home, 3 dogs and 2 dragons. I offered to take Petey because I loved his Dragontude! ? LOL! He is such a cool critter! So for Thanksgiving gift, they brought him with his set up to my house after we went to dinner. ? He has been a delight ever since!
For his name? There is a local rapper in Raleigh that goes by Petey Pablo. Son thought it was a good name for Dragon. ? But, since dragons are desert type critters, changed it to Petey Pueblo. But like he says, you can change it, not like he comes when you call him! LOL!
To me he's Petey and that works for me.?
-Dee

vrenee1018

Juvie Member
I live in Sacramento, CA and my little girl was a store in Roseville called, The Serpentarium. They buy dragons from the same breeders every year and they also take in rescues and abandoned dragons. They're a pretty awesome group and I couldn't be happier with mine. If I ever get another, I'd definitely go there again.

:blob8:

Vanessa

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
ComicBookMama":2t7hr8d1 said:
I knew I should have gone with a breeder, and will do so if and when I get a second dragon... probably Daichu, as I see them all the time at our closest reptile fair... but Figment is a pet store (Petco) dragon. I just couldn't bear to leave this pretty little dragon in a pet store to be bought by who knows who, with likely misinformation about care and maintenance.

To my surprise, his first wellness checkup just before Christmas was clear of all the usual problems you can expect with pet store critters... no parasites, skin in good conditions, no signs of MBD. He's about 7-8 months old now and doing great!

Do you find it necessary to do a vet checkup after you get them? I was wondering about bringing mine (if and when). I need to call my vet because my dog is having some issues with his internal stitches from his obstruction surgery in the middle of December so I could ask. They're not an exotic vet, but several of the vet techs have/had bearded dragons and they have an office beardie. I know my vet said anything complicated would need a reptile vet but they could handle simple things. It's a small country vet and they go out and handle horses and goats and such, a bearded dragon should be no problem lol.

Hikari

Got mine from a reptile shop in Pittsburgh called Off the Hook Exotics, who I found out about when I went to the Pittsburgh Reptile Show and Sale (I had been curious to see what it was like, so drove the 2 1/2 hours, lol). I saw her orange color and had to get her. She's a little over a year old now, and I love her.

I'm going to the Cleveland Reptile Show next month to get rats for my ball python, and it's gonna be so hard to resist getting another one, but right now I don't have the free time to deal with a baby dragon's feeding schedule (now a new snake on the other hand...)

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Got my girl as a little baby from Pet Smart - not the best idea but I didn’t realize it at the time. She is going to be 9 Years old this month - and I adore her. She’s literally the best dragon - so sweet.

Martadragon017

Hatchling Member
My beardie Marta came from a breeder, Atomic Lizard Ranch. I don't know if they were the best choice since many of their beardies have nipped toes and tails, but I was young and wanted to find a cheap but healthy bearded dragon since I hadn't owned any before. All the other breeders I found at the time were pretty expensive, but this one didn't have any dragons over $200. Next time I'd probably adopt one from a shelter if possible, or I might try finding one on Craigslist, but I don't feel experienced enough to get a very sick beardie yet. Still, I'm very glad I ended up getting Marta, she's very sweet and sassy, and I love her very much! :love5:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom