Ohmygod. Is he actually a.... she?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milo0

Hatchling Member
Oh my god.

I'm having a bit of a moment right now guys LOL. So, Milo is almost 8 years old. We got him around 3 months old where he was "supposedly" male, and I never questioned it, plus my vets never mentioned anything otherwise about his gender....

Well, the past couple weeks, he's been um... extremely horny so to say. Black bearded, running all over the place, typical behavior right? So tonight, I'm holding him checking his belly shedding when I notice this.... bulge. One I've never seen before / never really noticed somehow.

APPARENTLY THAT MEANS HE IS POSSIBLY A... SHE?? Picture is down below. I'm SO confused right now, been reading up all night about this because I'm actually confused. It's like he has... both male and female parts. The side bulges are barely there though, where the male bulges SHOULD be and he has a very prominent female bulge above the vent.

So um.... what do you guys think based off the picture? I'm actually confused LOL. He/she has never laid eggs before which I feel like is a clear indication that would be... male... and has also gotten it on with a female beardie before (breeder wanted him as a stud, though I don't know if it actually was a... successful breeding). He does like digging quite a bit too, which I've always found a little odd but again, no eggs ever. So I feel very stupid to ask this question but I'm very, very confused why he appears to have both male and female parts lol.

I'm a little shook right now :?

WWxAcuP.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you can arch the tail backwards a bit it makes it easier to tell.
Google image a picture on how to do it and post a picture up like that, tail arched backwards.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
claudiusx":3n4dutyd said:
If you can arch the tail backwards a bit it makes it easier to tell.
Google image a picture on how to do it and post a picture up like that, tail arched backwards.

-Brandon
Brandon, the 'bumps' are on the body side of the vent not the tail side correct? Was curious.
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi dee,

They are more akin to bulges as opposed to bumps. But they are visible on the tail side, not the body side. I'd post a picture but I'm on mobile right now and it's a bit of a hassle. Can once I get home :)

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
claudiusx":1tx2vsaw said:
Hi dee,

They are more akin to bulges as opposed to bumps. But they are visible on the tail side, not the body side. I'd post a picture but I'm on mobile right now and it's a bit of a hassle. Can once I get home :)

-Brandon
See? I had it backwards. ? Thanks Brandon!

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
There's two more pics, I tried doing the technique you recommended. I am still soooo confused, the side bumps that should indicate a male are ... Almost non-existent. I definitely see and feel them though but that bottom bump is very prominent too

60529-1033224939.jpg
60529-4884803100.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Dee, post a picture like that on your dragon Petey's thread, I can most likely tell you .

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
AHBD":strtglh4 said:
Dee, post a picture like that on your dragon Petey's thread, I can most likely tell you .
I glanced at it once before, was kidding, I'm pretty sure he's male. But will post a pic of I'm unsure. Gotta remember Petey is adult, easier to tell the sex. ?
-Dee
Edit. Just saw Milo is adult too. I checked, Petey is male.

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Definitely a male.

also in the first photo it looked like you flipped him upside down on his back to get the photo. I'd highly suggest against doing that as it could cause his lungs to collapse or cause extremely uncomfortable pressure on the spine if left like that for too long, it's a very uncomfortable position for them to Be in. Just a little warning about that. :)

milo0

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay I'm SO happy that I'm not a total ***** then after all these years hahahaha! Thank you guys, I have no idea how I only just noticed the funky bump that led me to believe he was a lady lmao.

Also I had him just slightly flipped at an angle so he was kinda sitting in my hand like a chair. But I definitely will be more aware next time just in case! It's so rough dealing with him nowadays, he's gone from lazy potato to RUN AND THRASH AROUND EVERYWHERE 24/7. Can't wait for "this time of year" to pass already LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom