Changing UVB Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Hi all. I want to replace Petey's uvb light tube, the one he has is Reptiglo 10.0 15W 18 inch T8. I know this is not optimal but wondered which tube I can get that is a better uvb tube without having to replace the fixture itself.
Any suggestions? Yes, in the U.S.
-Dee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Good thing your changing that out Reptiglos are not any good - you need to get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 - they are one of the best on the market now - it needs to be 8-10 inches from basking spot -- and no cover on the fixture
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":29jw3m03 said:
Good thing your changing that out Reptiglos are not any good - you need to get a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 - they are one of the best on the market now - it needs to be 8-10 inches from basking spot -- and no cover on the fixture
Karrie

So it's the brand not the model so to speak? Yeah I know it's not a good tube but have it under the steel mesh lid, no cover on it and foil to reflect. It's about 8 inches away from his fave spot, 6-8 depending. We went thru all that when we first got here. You told me what to do with the tube, under lid etc. I figure it was best I could do for short term since he came with it and is adult. Just wanted to know what to replace it with and should it stay in same place etc? Thanks for being so helpful!
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup you can use the reptisun 10.0 in your fixture as it's also a t8 sized bulb.

You can make a reflector out of aluminum foil. I have a rough guide on how to do it in my announcement post at the top of the forums.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":1dn1qb8c said:
Yup you can use the reptisun 10.0 in your fixture as it's also a t8 sized bulb.

You can make a reflector out of aluminum foil. I have a rough guide on how to do it in my announcement post at the top of the forums.

-Brandon
I did the foil to help till I could get a new tube. Should continue to use it after replacing the tube? And keep it inside the lid?
-Dee

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you dont have a reflector, definitely keep using the foil. Without a reflector, the t8 reptisun needs to be 4 or 5 inches away, and that's too close. With the reflector you can be at a much better 6-8 inch distance. Those numbers are assuming it's not being blocked by a mesh lid.

If you're tank is tall enough you might want to consider just switching to the t5 version and buying a fixture with reflector.

-Brandon

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":29narrln said:
If you dont have a reflector, definitely keep using the foil. Without a reflector, the t8 reptisun needs to be 4 or 5 inches away, and that's too close. With the reflector you can be at a much better 6-8 inch distance. Those numbers are assuming it's not being blocked by a mesh lid.

If you're tank is tall enough you might want to consider just switching to the t5 version and buying a fixture with reflector.

-Brandon
He's in a 40 br for now. Hope to change that this summer with a newly built viv or a Zen or something similar. Haven't decided yet, but leaning towards buying the appropriate enclosure for adult. Def needs more space. Expect to go T5 with new 'house'.
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom