Beardie ate dead crickets?

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Beardie ate dead crickets?

Postby reiddragons » Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:14 pm

There were some dead crickets in my holder with the live ones. I think my beardie ate a couple of the dead ones. Is he going to be sic or die? What should I be looking for? He ate some salad and drank some water just now, he's behaving normal.
reiddragons
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardie ate dead crickets?

Postby KarrieRee » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:21 pm

They arent going to hurt him but I would remove the dead ones they cause a lot of stink
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:05 am

Provided these dead crickets were still fresh , that's not a problem 95% of the time . If dead because they've been exposed to a toxin … that's bad.

If they were starting to go off , oozing fluids , not good , will like make the dragon sick.

I can't see any reptile touching a cricket that started to smell like rotten prawns.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Cheakie (subadult M) Nov 2019, Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby reiddragons » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:31 pm

kingofnobbys wrote:Provided these dead crickets were still fresh , that's not a problem 95% of the time . If dead because they've been exposed to a toxin … that's bad.

If they were starting to go off , oozing fluids , not good , will like make the dragon sick.

I can't see any reptile touching a cricket that started to smell like rotten prawns.

Thanks, he seems ok :)

Follow-up tho, he had a container of dubia roaches. Some are dead and I see a couple larvae in there. However, the one I took out and fed him was definitely still alive. No toxins were in there. He should be ok, right?
reiddragons
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:37 pm

Just fish the dead ones out and clean out the container they are in
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby reiddragons » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:38 pm

KarrieRee wrote:Just fish the dead ones out and clean out the container they are in
Karrie

Absolutely, but I meant right now? Should I call a vwt?
reiddragons
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:40 pm

Yes he should be fine - I clean out the dead ones all the time -- and no toxins are there
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER