Possible Beardie Foot Infection! Please help!

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Possible Beardie Foot Infection! Please help!

Postby CrunchyBeardedBaby » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:04 pm

Hi I got my baby Beardie 2 or 3 weeks ago. The PetSmart said she (or he) was 3 months old but he looks to be around 2. Everything was fine until her toe started blackening and stiffening up. It’s swollen at the (knuckle maybe?) and is now stiff. She runs on her foot and everything and eats all fine and doesn’t show anything wrong but worried the infection may spread if it is an infection. Please help! I’m very worried! [Click image to enlarge]
[Click image to enlarge]
CrunchyBeardedBaby
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Possible Beardie Foot Infection! Please help!

Postby Drache613 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:04 am

Hello,

Since you got her from Petsmart, it's likely an injury from a tank mate's bite probably.
Does it seem to be bothering her?
If it is bothering her & starting to get infected, I would consider taking her into the vets if
it seems to be spreading. If it gets infected, it could travel up the foot & leg area, making
her ill.
Do you have any raw, unpasteurized or manuka honey on hand you could put on the toe?

How is her appetite?

Tracie
Drache613

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:03 am

If you have the honey Tracie suggested please make sure you feed her out of the tank - NO crickets in the tank as they will be attracted to her foot w/ the honey making more health issues --- also here is a website to find a vet
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby CrunchyBeardedBaby » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:15 am

Drache613 wrote:Hello,

Since you got her from Petsmart, it's likely an injury from a tank mate's bite probably.
Does it seem to be bothering her?
If it is bothering her & starting to get infected, I would consider taking her into the vets if
it seems to be spreading. If it gets infected, it could travel up the foot & leg area, making
her ill.
Do you have any raw, unpasteurized or manuka honey on hand you could put on the toe?

How is her appetite?

Tracie

Her appetite is perfectly fine, up to 20 small crickets a day. It doesn’t seem to be bothering her at all but I don’t know how to tell if it does become an infection and that’s my worry.
CrunchyBeardedBaby
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:25 am

So I would take some precautionary action and start treating w/ the honey - watch and see what it does - if it starts to turn black and just not right post more pics of it here and someone can tell you what its doing - you can also get her into the vet now have them look at it and see what they recommend -- I gave a website see if there is a vet near you
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby kingofnobbys » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:34 am

Only apply the honey if there is still an unhealed scar there or an open injury.

I doubt it will be absorbed through the skin on the infected toe.

That said , I think you should get the dragon's toe seen by a reptile vet , some antibiotics are what is needed , and the sooner they are started , the better the chance of saving the toe unless the toe is already necrotic , in which case it needs the vet to remove it before the gangrene spreads throughout the entire foot and into the leg.
Quick action and proper treatment is needed here.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby CrunchyBeardedBaby » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:46 am

kingofnobbys wrote:Only apply the honey if there is still an unhealed scar there or an open injury.

I doubt it will be absorbed through the skin on the infected toe.

That said , I think you should get the dragon's toe seen by a reptile vet , some antibiotics are what is needed , and the sooner they are started , the better the chance of saving the toe unless the toe is already necrotic , in which case it needs the vet to remove it before the gangrene spreads throughout the entire foot and into the leg.
Quick action and proper treatment is needed here.

I don’t have a bet near me, and my parents won’t let me take her because they think it’s going to be fine. I’m incredibly worried especially since I don’t know how to fix an infection of it turns into one.
CrunchyBeardedBaby
Hatchling Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:09 am

Hi there,

The honey is a good choice to use for an at home treatment. Sometimes the toe ends up just falling off but you definitely want to try to keep any infection at bay which is where the honey comes in.

Make sure you get a raw unpasteurized honey. Better of you have a beekeeper near by you can get some fresh from so you know it's not fake junk.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER