Color of Food Dish?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
I'm wondering if the color of the food dish can confuse a beardie. Figment's two salad dishes are green kidney-shaped ceramic, and I've noticed that sometimes he tries to take a bite out of the dish itself rather than his greens. Ought I shift to a different color dish?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
It's certainly possible. It could be the color or could be general curiosity. If he keeps biting at it I'd try something different and see how that goes over.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
ComicBookMama":3hlm885u said:
I'm wondering if the color of the food dish can confuse a beardie. Figment's two salad dishes are green kidney-shaped ceramic, and I've noticed that sometimes he tries to take a bite out of the dish itself rather than his greens. Ought I shift to a different color dish?

Do we know if BD's can see color or differentiate between shades of green? Maybe all 'green' looks like greens. No clue. Haven't read anything about their vision.
-Dee

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've read that their vision reaches beyond ours in the UV spectrum, leading me to think that they can see a great deal of color. That's just from chatter on the board though, I haven't researched it.

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
kingofnobbys":cc72erc8 said:
I use white food dishes . Ceramic porcelain coated with good effect.
Ditto, but mine (ZaRDoZ') is a hard plastic "dipping dish". It works well, but has to be anchored down.

What I'd really like is a heavy gray slate/stone/ceramic dish to match the enclosure decor, but haven't found one yet. There are some plastic/resin ones in gray, but they're too lightweight. We need some weight to prevent him dumping the roaches out into the enclosure. Also very slippery inside to prevent escapees!

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I'll keep an eye out for white dishes... I could probably find something in Goodwill that's heavy ceramic and will work. When I feed him his dubias, I just use an old ceramic dish from my cat... it's blue with cat silhouettes around it, and I find that he licks at the cats sometimes! Dragons are just weird critters. :lol:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Maybe something white with no pattern?
I got Petey's from Amazon, white ceramic with inward facing lip. It was like $6-7. Made so worms and stuff can't get out. Pay attention to size, I think his was listed as large but is barely 3 inches across. The others are tiny. Fine for a baby but not an adult like Petey.
-Dee

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
BeardedDragonSteve":33czib69 said:
Speaking of food dishes earlier this week Smaug pooped in her food bowl luckily there was nothing in it
Petey has done that too. ? Nasty Dragon! LOL! But then he's a mess! He'll do his biz anywhere and everywhere. Or track it all over for me to clean if I don't catch him fast enough. ?

-Dee

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
DragonPete":2z1xamzc said:
BeardedDragonSteve":2z1xamzc said:
Speaking of food dishes earlier this week Smaug pooped in her food bowl luckily there was nothing in it
Petey has done that too. ? Nasty Dragon! LOL! But then he's a mess! He'll do his biz anywhere and everywhere. Or track it all over for me to clean if I don't catch him fast enough. ?

-Dee

That's their way showing what they think of the stuff in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom