Help!! Puffed up limp bearded dragon after bath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gave my beardie a shallow bath earlier. Turned away for a second because my child was playing in the toilet. When I turned around he was all puffed up with his mouth wide open. When I picked him up he was limp. I started moving him around and then blew into his mouth and he started breathing. Afterwards I dried him off and put him back on his log in his tank to warm up. Kept checking on him but he has become very lethargic and only crawling around in the bottom of his tank. I took him out he crawled around on the carpet but wouldn’t run like normal. Then when I went to pick him up he puffed up again went limp and his beard and belly turned dark. I’m worried about him. He’s been very lethargic.

I did notice that sometimes his spine is arched but then goes back to normal. Is he going to be okay? He’s only like five or six months old. I do not get paid till Friday. So if he makes it I can not take him to the vet until Friday. None of the vets here will let you make payments.

Can someone please help me.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry this happened. I hope he didn't aspirate any water during his bath. Did you see
him submerge his head at all?
How is he tonight, is his breathing steady & regular or shallow? I would say that if he is
breathing regularly & not black bearding that he will be alright & something must have
scared him terribly. If he is black bearding & continues to not move & stay lethargic he
needs to see a vet as soon as possible.
Do you have any pictures of him we could see?
Did he start arching his spine after this incident or before?
Can you review your tank setup with us too, such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation,
temperatures & foods given?

Tracie

Taylorerin08

Original Poster
Drache613":b9kqeeln said:
Hello,

So sorry this happened. I hope he didn't aspirate any water during his bath. Did you see
him submerge his head at all?
How is he tonight, is his breathing steady & regular or shallow? I would say that if he is
breathing regularly & not black bearding that he will be alright & something must have
scared him terribly. If he is black bearding & continues to not move & stay lethargic he
needs to see a vet as soon as possible.
Do you have any pictures of him we could see?
Did he start arching his spine after this incident or before?
Can you review your tank setup with us too, such as the type/brand of UVB, supplementation,
temperatures & foods given?

Tracie

He’s got a ten gallon tank till we get paid on Friday. His lightbulb I’m unsure of the name or type but the box had a bearded dragon on it I do remember that he’s got a perch log and a hider log he’s got rose petal chips in the bottom on the tank. He was fine before the bath then after the bath he’s been acting like this. He’s still lethargic today. Doesn’t want to move much or eat. I turned his light on today and he was still lethargic got him out to feed him he wouldn’t move. Put him on his log in his tank. About 30 minutes later I noticed he was laying in his back twitching and so I picked him up flipped him over and he was pushing his tongue out of his mouth and straight legged. So I blew into his mouth and flipped him over. He started to breathe on his own. His beard is not black. He doesn’t have stress marks on his belly.

Idk how to post pictures on here.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? I see only basking--- are you using only the stick on for temps? If so it is inaccurate-- you need a digital probe for temps-
Karrie

Taylorerin08

Original Poster
KarrieRee":25cknvxp said:
What are you using for a UVB? I see only basking--- are you using only the stick on for temps? If so it is inaccurate-- you need a digital probe for temps-
Karrie

We were told by someone who has had multiple dragons as well as bred them that this was a good set up. That we weren’t missing anything. Said he only needed the one bulb and everything was fine.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is it a all in one ? It looks like a regular bulb --- if its a all in one UVB and basking I would say ok but to me your dragon looks terrible - and if I am seeing correct that is not the correct bulb --- if you want your dragon to make it please answer these questions and we can get the correct set up or hes not gonna live
what are the basking temps ? they should be 105-110 taken w/ a infrared heat gun /and digital probe
What is the bulb your using brand and bulb?
the 10 gallon aquarium hes in will defiantly not last long - he needs a tank of no less than 40 gallon -- what are you feeding him ? Is he eating - ?
If you have no UVB he will develop MBD and neurological issues ---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am sorry but this person your listening to is giving you bad advice and if you look at your dragon I would question their advice -- if you do not get the correct husbandry for your dragon its going to die -- he is already showing signs of illness for one MBD is setting in --- you need to invest in a bigger tank but for now you need to get the correct lighting one a bright white basking bulb that will keep temps 95-110 now that he is 5-6 months old --- I would get a fixture 24" w/ a reflector along w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 since hes in a 10 gallon aquarium - get it set up on top of the tank w/ NO screen and he should be 8-10 inches from that bulb so your gonna haft to use something low for a decor piece no closer --- start there its gonna be spendy but time is of the essence since he looks bad - try your local petstores petco petsmart oven a mom and pops store but if you dont get this soon he may not make it
Karrie

Taylorerin08

Original Poster
KarrieRee":31ep1clq said:
I am sorry but this person your listening to is giving you bad advice and if you look at your dragon I would question their advice -- if you do not get the correct husbandry for your dragon its going to die -- he is already showing signs of illness for one MBD is setting in --- you need to invest in a bigger tank but for now you need to get the correct lighting one a bright white basking bulb that will keep temps 95-110 now that he is 5-6 months old --- I would get a fixture 24" w/ a reflector along w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 since hes in a 10 gallon aquarium - get it set up on top of the tank w/ NO screen and he should be 8-10 inches from that bulb so your gonna haft to use something low for a decor piece no closer --- start there its gonna be spendy but time is of the essence since he looks bad - try your local petstores petco petsmart oven a mom and pops store but if you dont get this soon he may not make it
Karrie

Okay I will do all of that. But I do not get paid till Friday. So I will not be able to do anything until Friday. But I will get everything he needs Friday.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
It is going to be spendy--- fixtures/hood are usually the most expensive -- I will give you a website you can look here for this fixture - they are out of stock but are supposed to have more in stock tomorrow - here is the link www.pangeareptiles.com - look under fixtures they have one that is 24" that is a generic it will work for $32 - Zoo Med and such are $50 and up but the $32 will work - what you need is that bulb a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 - it is a good strong bulb --- when are you getting a new tank ? I hope like really soon --- this bulb I am having you get is more for a bigger tank like a 40 gallon or bigger ---
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need digital probes from pet smart or petco for $5 --- you need those to get actual basking temps - you dont want to cook the dragon- you need temps of where he sits to bask - 95-110- in a small tank its going to be hard not to over cook him I would start out w/ a 50-75 watt bulb --- get a temp w/ the probe let it sit there for 10 minutes
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom