Zeros Heath/Behavior Compared to Other Dragons???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,
I hope I'm posting this in the right category, since it's not about a particular dragon's health. Anyway... In the next few months, I will become a new dragon mommy, and I'm currently most interested in the zeros. I've heard they can have issues and genetic defects compared to other dragons that are closer to the dragon's core/original genetic makeup, the breeder I've chosen has said they usually don't have any major issues. Has anyone seen a difference health-wise for Zeros, and is their life expectancy about the same as others, despite apparently having lesser genetic strength? Health is the utmost importance to me; not the morph.
Thanks,
.ks.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Since they are a relatively new morph, genetics on them wouldn't be expected to be as "strong" as other morphs, simply because the bloodline is so new and hasn't been strengthened as much as it might need to be.

That doesn't mean that zeros are prone to genetic health issues while other morphs aren't. You can most definitely get a very healthy zero. It comes down to the breeders genetic practices though.

It's generally excepted and understood that hetxhet pairings produce the healthiest zero's as the bloodlines are the most diverse that way.

If your breeder is breeding visxvis or even visxhet I'd most likely reconsider. Although some claim visxhet is fine. Hetxhet would be prefered.

-Brandon

kstwrites90

Original Poster
claudiusx":pfggvwt3 said:
Hi there,

Since they are a relatively new morph, genetics on them wouldn't be expected to be as "strong" as other morphs, simply because the bloodline is so new and hasn't been strengthened as much as it might need to be.

That doesn't mean that zeros are prone to genetic health issues while other morphs aren't. You can most definitely get a very healthy zero. It comes down to the breeders genetic practices though.

It's generally excepted and understood that hetxhet pairings produce the healthiest zero's as the bloodlines are the most diverse that way.

If your breeder is breeding visxvis or even visxhet I'd most likely reconsider. Although some claim visxhet is fine. Hetxhet would be prefered.

-Brandon

Thank you for answering. I'm uncertain what vis means, if you could elaborate on that? Then I'll ask the breeder about it to be certain.
Thanks again!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sorry I will elaborate :)

Vis means visual, and het means heterozygous.

So if the dragon is het for zero, it simply means that have the zero gene, but don't visually show it.
If a dragon is vis, well obviously they show it :)

So best practice would be breeding 2 het zeros together (both parents don't actually show the zero trait).

OK to some would be breeding a Visual Zero to a het zero.

And most agree that Visual Zero to Visual Zero is not ok.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yep -- I am more of a vis person everything else is mumbo jumbo :lol:
Karrie

kstwrites90

Original Poster
claudiusx":jk6phq56 said:
Sorry I will elaborate :)

Vis means visual, and het means heterozygous.

So if the dragon is het for zero, it simply means that have the zero gene, but don't visually show it.
If a dragon is vis, well obviously they show it :)

So best practice would be breeding 2 het zeros together (both parents don't actually show the zero trait).

OK to some would be breeding a Visual Zero to a het zero.

And most agree that Visual Zero to Visual Zero is not ok.

-Brandon

Gotcha! Thanks so much for elaborating on that. I will definitely be sure to ask the breeder about this. :).

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
No problem :)

Just be prepared for a very defensive answer If the breeder isnt doing hetxhet lol.

I know 1 or 2 breeders off hand who do visxvis and you can just tell from outward appearance that the babies look sickly.

Who were you looking into if you dont mind sharing?

-Brandon

kstwrites90

Original Poster
claudiusx":1ipoatzh said:
No problem :)

Just be prepared for a very defensive answer If the breeder isnt doing hetxhet lol.

I know 1 or 2 breeders off hand who do visxvis and you can just tell from outward appearance that the babies look sickly.

Who were you looking into if you dont mind sharing?

-Brandon

I don’t mind at all. I’m looking at Cliffhanger Reptiles LLC. So far I’ve been really impressed with them and what I’ve seen, and they don’t mind all the questions I’ve asked or make you feel silly for asking “newbie questions” like some do. They got back to me straight away with a really detailed answer. I haven’t asked about visxvis yet, as I was waiting on your answer lol. But I plan to. :).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom