Beardie with eye problems (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Take a pic of the tank top- why does it say not to put on top? Pic of the tank will help
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, do you know if the beardie gets any supplements ? Sometimes lack of vit. D can cause eye problems, that or the wrong bulbs. You can put raw honey in the eyes , diluted with a very tiny bit of warm water and apply with a Q-tip . It works like an antibiotic ointment , just be 100 % sure there are no loose insects, especially crickets hiding in the tank that would go after his eyes . If you get the t5 bulb you mentioned that can go on top of the screen as long as it's no more than 12" away. It can go inside at the same distance but no closer. Basking spot needs to be about 100-105, the cool end would be at 80. Don;t soak the dragon at all while he's sick, only if he gets dirty or just once a week if he drinks while soaking. BTW, did you say you're putting moss in the tank ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The set up itself is very nicely done, you did a nice job creating lots of climbing areas + space to move around. The big problem is the light. No uvb and not enough heat.You need at least 125-150 watts to heat that properly. Plus the t5 bulb for uvb. His problems may all be related to that. And you can skip the moss, it may be carrying dust or something so just to rule it out.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So you need to get that UVB ASAP -- is it warm where you are? If so you can take him outside for 15 minutes direct sunlight - you can use a plastic tote NO glass!! That will equal out to around 4 hrs of UVB --- he needs the UVB --- no loose substrate --- NO moss! You can use some textured NON adhesive shelf liner from your local home improvement stores--- its cheap and easy to keep clean --- vinegar/ water 50/50 in a spray bottle --- and insects cannot get underneath--
Karrie

Gooseandfish

Original Poster
I have to go to PetSmart today, is there any specific thing I should get? I'm getting him worms and a digital probe?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do you have the UVB yet ? That should be a priority along w/ the digital probes to check temps--- basking bulb I am assuming you have one --
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Digital probe will be good. Newspaper is fine for now until you can get non adhesive shelf liner but if you can't , the newspaper is fine. Order the uvb + an extra heat bulb ASAP, he will be too cold in there + can get worse very quickly. The stores sell these tiny dome for heat bulbs which are only good for a tiny tank. Anyway,good for you for taking care of your sister's beardie. :)

Gooseandfish

Original Poster
I have the basking bulb but not the UVB, do you have any recommendations on which one? There are lots of choices and as experience has shown me, they're not all great for my situation

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Petsmart carries Reptisun 10.0 bulbs and fixtures but they all carry different lengths - you can get a 22 inch if they have them -- look there and let us know what happens
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If you just have the one heat bulb it's not enough for that big tank . How many watts is the bulb ? Since you have the extra double dome fixture that had the purple bulb get an extra heat bulb for it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes or you can get one 150 watt and try that and see if you can get temps to 95-110 --- make sure you have that digital probe and set it on his basking spot where he sits for 10 minutes then take temp and yes one UVB --- Tube no coil -- Reptisun 10.0 bulb either a T 5 or a T 8 -- fixture 22" or 24" if they have them -- not the same length as the tank tho --- you want him to be able to get out of the UVB rays and not hide from them --- check the wattage on the dome for the basking bulb
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom