Beardie with eye problems (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am taking care of my sister's dragon for a month while she's in another state, and he's had some eye problems his entire life, but they were easily taken care of (just gunk and stuff). But I woke up this morning, after not seeing him the day before due to school and other responsibilities I'm sorry, he has stuff that my mom says is shed on his eyes? Before now, he's had problems with opening them, but they usually do, but now there's all this stuff. I have a snake, so I don't really know much about beardies, only snakes. Is this normal?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No that is not normal -- what kind of lighting is in that tank ---? We need the brand and bulb of the UVB where its at in the tank or on top of screen - what are his basking temps and how are you taking them? If you can please post a pic of the tank and lighting
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

Gooseandfish

Original Poster
Well we are cleaning out the cage right now because we need to, but I do not know the lighting because its my sisters dragon, but we do have this lighting as a backup?
107193-5798128578.jpg
And the basking side is at 80 degrees F. I can get back to you with a pic of the tank in an hour or so, sorry.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes please do - we need to determine if this is causing issues-- what substrate is in tank?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so substrate is out--- got to rule the lighting out next- but need to see it--- that stuff that you have for back up that black light what is that? And the one next to it is that a bright white basking bulb?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Any colored bulbs black purple blue get rid of them- can and will cause eye issues-- you need one bright white basking bulb that keeps temps 95-110- taken w/ a digital probe or infrared heat gun- NO STICK ONS- they are totally inaccurate-- next a good UVB TUBE. No coils! She would need to.get if she does not have a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or a T 8-- she needs a hood/ fixture w/ a reflector-- please ask questions-- I need ahbd - Tracie drache613 or Brandon to give advice on how to treat- she may haft to take her to a vet if so we can give website to find a vet -
Karrie

Gooseandfish

Original Poster
Okay so I'm thinking about buying the Zoo Med ReptiSun 10.0 UVB T5 HO Lamp, 24 Watts with the Carolina Custom Cages Reptile 22" T5HO UVB + Single GU10 Basking Light Fixture, and I'm gonna put it inside the cage? If I do this do I need the basking bulb on top?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
UVB needs to be 12-15 inches from basking decor-- the basking bulb can be on top - basking temps at 80 are not hot enough--- how are you taking that temp?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Not accurate- get a digital probe from PetSmart or Petco $5-- also recommend a infrared heat gun from your local home improvement store $10-12-- believe me you will use it--- get one of those ASAP--- I don't want you burning the dragon up -- has he/ she been eating?
Karrie

Gooseandfish

Original Poster
Yeah he's always had a good appetite. So I have a mesh top to the aquarium, and I've seen that that's bad to put the light ontop of?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom