Beardie was knelt on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colly01

Please help we have a very little bearded dragon who today jumped off my daughter's chest and she accidently knelt on his leg and tail, he is now not very responsive looks like 1 leg is broken and he keeps flipping on to his back! We are beyond devastated. We live remotely so not near a vet. Will he recover

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Poor fella,

If he keeps flipping onto his back he might have also injured his spinal cord. It sounds bad enough that he will need vet intervention.

How long ago did it happen?

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I assume it's night time where you live?

The best you can do for now is keep him a bit warmer overnight, and try to get into a vet tomorrow, even if you need to drive a bit. I'm sorry :(

Do you have a picture of the little dude? Is he black bearding at all? Or dark? is the leg very clearly broken?

-Brandon

Colly01

Original Poster
The leg is just hanging, his beard and tail is very black. I'm not sure how to upload a photo

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, yeah him being so black like that is definitely a sign he is suffering. I know how awful you must feel. There really isn't anything you can do besides get him to the vet. You can see if there are any emergency vets open right now.

Really nothing more you can do besides see if he holds out through the night and get him into a vet in the morning :(

Here is a link to upload pictures to this site:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I wouldn't waste valuable time trying to upload photos here.

This is a genuine vet emergency , and you need to find the nearest reptile vet and get your severely injured dragon to their emergency clinic immediately , I'd simply call them to tell them you are on your way .
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Most vets take in afterhours emergencies , some even have vet assistant / vet nurses who run a vet ambulance and can come to the home to do an on the spot assessment / Triage and can take the "patient" to the clinic to be seen by the on call vet.

The longer you leave this the more severe the damage will become and the less likely your dragon will be able to be "fixed" and survive.

Colly01

Original Poster
Our nearest reptile vet would be 8 hours away? Our local vet said they could look at him and take xrays but they can't do anything else as they are not trained with lizards

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Colly01":1yee1fyh said:
Our nearest reptile vet would be 8 hours away? Our local vet said they could look at him and take xrays but they can't do anything else as they are not trained with lizards

Xrays are needed so I'd get them done, and as to vet not being trained, there are devices called telephones , and they may even have a fancy thing called a computer that they can use via Skype so they can contact a qualified vet in an emergency and easily consult with them about what needs to be done .

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So sorry that happened to your baby. Did she lean on just his leg, or, his entire body?
Also, they flip when they are trying to deal with pain also, so hopefully his spine isn't
injured. If he has a broken leg, then it may be able to be successfully set by the vet.
Try to keep him immobile well, essentially just where he can't move or fall off of anything
overnight, to hurt himself.
Let us know how he is doing! We are all pulling for him.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":16z84loa said:
Here is a website to find a vet
http://www.arav.org
Karrie

So you don't have to go drilling down into the website , something an anxious / scared / worried owner of a sick / injured pet reptile might find beyond them in their panicked and emotional state.

Infact like the link I provided I think THE LINK TO THIS SHOULD BE MADE A STICKY IN EMERGENCY and also IN HEALTH.
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

Colly01

Original Poster
Thank you everyone, as we are in Australia our nearest lizard vet is 14 hours away, he has definitely had some damage 1 leg dosent work and he is still battling along though, he is eating and we are trying hydrotherapy with him which seems to be making a difference. We have re modeled his enclosure for his safety and so he can get around easier! We will keep helping him along the best we can, he dosent appear to be in any pain now and is happy enough. Thank you all for your concern we were completely devastated when it happened but so glad he is still with us and is improving everyday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom