Beardie was knelt on

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Beardie was knelt on

Postby Colly01 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:38 pm

Please help we have a very little bearded dragon who today jumped off my daughter's chest and she accidently knelt on his leg and tail, he is now not very responsive looks like 1 leg is broken and he keeps flipping on to his back! We are beyond devastated. We live remotely so not near a vet. Will he recover
Colly01
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardie was knelt on

Postby Claudiusx » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:39 pm

Hi there,

Poor fella,

If he keeps flipping onto his back he might have also injured his spinal cord. It sounds bad enough that he will need vet intervention.

How long ago did it happen?

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby Colly01 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:42 pm

About an hour ago, I don't want him to suffer not sure what to do
Colly01
Newbie Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:51 pm

I assume it's night time where you live?

The best you can do for now is keep him a bit warmer overnight, and try to get into a vet tomorrow, even if you need to drive a bit. I'm sorry :(

Do you have a picture of the little dude? Is he black bearding at all? Or dark? is the leg very clearly broken?

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby Colly01 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:12 pm

The leg is just hanging, his beard and tail is very black. I'm not sure how to upload a photo
Colly01
Newbie Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:15 pm

Ok, yeah him being so black like that is definitely a sign he is suffering. I know how awful you must feel. There really isn't anything you can do besides get him to the vet. You can see if there are any emergency vets open right now.

Really nothing more you can do besides see if he holds out through the night and get him into a vet in the morning :(

Here is a link to upload pictures to this site:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

-Brandon
Claudiusx

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:18 pm

I wouldn't waste valuable time trying to upload photos here.

This is a genuine vet emergency , and you need to find the nearest reptile vet and get your severely injured dragon to their emergency clinic immediately , I'd simply call them to tell them you are on your way .
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/index.html#vetlist

Most vets take in afterhours emergencies , some even have vet assistant / vet nurses who run a vet ambulance and can come to the home to do an on the spot assessment / Triage and can take the "patient" to the clinic to be seen by the on call vet.

The longer you leave this the more severe the damage will become and the less likely your dragon will be able to be "fixed" and survive.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
G.Dubia Gecko (F) hatchling : Godzilla
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Colly01 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:47 pm

Our nearest reptile vet would be 8 hours away? Our local vet said they could look at him and take xrays but they can't do anything else as they are not trained with lizards
Colly01
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Postby Colly01 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:53 pm

[Click image to enlarge]
Colly01
Newbie Poster

Postby kingofnobbys » Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:28 pm

Colly01 wrote:Our nearest reptile vet would be 8 hours away? Our local vet said they could look at him and take xrays but they can't do anything else as they are not trained with lizards

Xrays are needed so I'd get them done, and as to vet not being trained, there are devices called telephones , and they may even have a fancy thing called a computer that they can use via Skype so they can contact a qualified vet in an emergency and easily consult with them about what needs to be done .
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EWSs : Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Drache613 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:10 am

Hello,

So sorry that happened to your baby. Did she lean on just his leg, or, his entire body?
Also, they flip when they are trying to deal with pain also, so hopefully his spine isn't
injured. If he has a broken leg, then it may be able to be successfully set by the vet.
Try to keep him immobile well, essentially just where he can't move or fall off of anything
overnight, to hurt himself.
Let us know how he is doing! We are all pulling for him.

Tracie
Drache613

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:43 am

Here is a website to find a vet
www.arav.org
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

Postby kingofnobbys » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:18 am

KarrieRee wrote:Here is a website to find a vet
http://www.arav.org
Karrie

So you don't have to go drilling down into the website , something an anxious / scared / worried owner of a sick / injured pet reptile might find beyond them in their panicked and emotional state.

Infact like the link I provided I think THE LINK TO THIS SHOULD BE MADE A STICKY IN EMERGENCY and also IN HEALTH.
https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby Drache613 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:27 am

Hello,

Just wondering how your dragon was doing this evening?

Tracie
Drache613

Postby Colly01 » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:57 am

Thank you everyone, as we are in Australia our nearest lizard vet is 14 hours away, he has definitely had some damage 1 leg dosent work and he is still battling along though, he is eating and we are trying hydrotherapy with him which seems to be making a difference. We have re modeled his enclosure for his safety and so he can get around easier! We will keep helping him along the best we can, he dosent appear to be in any pain now and is happy enough. Thank you all for your concern we were completely devastated when it happened but so glad he is still with us and is improving everyday
Colly01
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Next

Return to Beardie ER