Water dish or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon
Yes I have seen that this question has been answered in the past, but my Drogon just hates anything to do with water, including baths. I feel like there is so much info out there, whether its correct or not Im unsure, so here are some questions I have:

1) Is misting necessary? Drogon despises it.

2) Is yellow water with poo a sign of dehydration?

3) Drogon opens his mouth when basking and I sometimes notice saliva strands inside. I just read an article that said thats a sign of dehydration??!

4) Is misting veggies and bugs enough?

Poo pic for reference:
106408-6781021696.jpg

Just as a guess, I would assume desert animals get their hydration from their food?

Selkie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The poop shows that he is well hydrated. He is probably getting enough from food. If he doesn't like being near the water don't force it, it's not worth the stress. I would keep focusing on offering fresh veges and bugs that are gutloaded on fresh veges. If the poops continue to pass excess water along with them then he is probably getting plenty. If they start to look dry or the urate looks chalky then you can try misting or dripping water on his nose to offer extra as needed.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drogon
CooperDragon":3n5pe6tx said:
The poop shows that he is well hydrated. He is probably getting enough from food. If he doesn't like being near the water don't force it, it's not worth the stress. I would keep focusing on offering fresh veges and bugs that are gutloaded on fresh veges. If the poops continue to pass excess water along with them then he is probably getting plenty. If they start to look dry or the urate looks chalky then you can try misting or dripping water on his nose to offer extra as needed.

Thank you!
Is it true about the saliva thing? I feel that particular article wasnt correct

Buddyboy123

I trained my dragon to drink out of a water bowl. After basking at about 100 Deg F for about an hour ,I would mist him very lightly in his face. He would happily lean into the mist. I would then lead him across the tank towards the water bowl and mist the water bowl with a heavy mist, just enough to ripple the surface. Now when he has basked for awhile he goes to the bowl on his own and drinks from it. It took about a week of this to train him . Buddyboy123

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drogon
Buddyboy123":29zpf4u2 said:
I trained my dragon to drink out of a water bowl. After basking at about 100 Deg F for about an hour ,I would mist him very lightly in his face. He would happily lean into the mist. I would then lead him across the tank towards the water bowl and mist the water bowl with a heavy mist, just enough to ripple the surface. Now when he has basked for awhile he goes to the bowl on his own and drinks from it. It took about a week of this to train him . Buddyboy123

Thats very cool! Im happy your dragon likes water.
Mine hates getting misted though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom