Water dish or not?

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Water dish or not?

Postby Selkie1993 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:28 pm

Yes I have seen that this question has been answered in the past, but my Drogon just hates anything to do with water, including baths. I feel like there is so much info out there, whether its correct or not Im unsure, so here are some questions I have:

1) Is misting necessary? Drogon despises it.

2) Is yellow water with poo a sign of dehydration?

3) Drogon opens his mouth when basking and I sometimes notice saliva strands inside. I just read an article that said thats a sign of dehydration??!

4) Is misting veggies and bugs enough?

Poo pic for reference:
[Click image to enlarge]

Just as a guess, I would assume desert animals get their hydration from their food?

Selkie
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Water dish or not?

Postby CooperDragon » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:04 pm

The poop shows that he is well hydrated. He is probably getting enough from food. If he doesn't like being near the water don't force it, it's not worth the stress. I would keep focusing on offering fresh veges and bugs that are gutloaded on fresh veges. If the poops continue to pass excess water along with them then he is probably getting plenty. If they start to look dry or the urate looks chalky then you can try misting or dripping water on his nose to offer extra as needed.
CooperDragon

Postby Selkie1993 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:56 pm

CooperDragon wrote:The poop shows that he is well hydrated. He is probably getting enough from food. If he doesn't like being near the water don't force it, it's not worth the stress. I would keep focusing on offering fresh veges and bugs that are gutloaded on fresh veges. If the poops continue to pass excess water along with them then he is probably getting plenty. If they start to look dry or the urate looks chalky then you can try misting or dripping water on his nose to offer extra as needed.

Thank you!
Is it true about the saliva thing? I feel that particular article wasnt correct
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

Postby Buddyboy123 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:35 pm

I trained my dragon to drink out of a water bowl. After basking at about 100 Deg F for about an hour ,I would mist him very lightly in his face. He would happily lean into the mist. I would then lead him across the tank towards the water bowl and mist the water bowl with a heavy mist, just enough to ripple the surface. Now when he has basked for awhile he goes to the bowl on his own and drinks from it. It took about a week of this to train him . Buddyboy123
Buddyboy123
Newbie Poster

Postby Selkie1993 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:04 pm

Buddyboy123 wrote:I trained my dragon to drink out of a water bowl. After basking at about 100 Deg F for about an hour ,I would mist him very lightly in his face. He would happily lean into the mist. I would then lead him across the tank towards the water bowl and mist the water bowl with a heavy mist, just enough to ripple the surface. Now when he has basked for awhile he goes to the bowl on his own and drinks from it. It took about a week of this to train him . Buddyboy123

Thats very cool! Im happy your dragon likes water.
Mine hates getting misted though
Selkie
Selkie1993
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health