Status
Not open for further replies.

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon
Hello!

My dragon just finished shedding a bit on his face, full legs both front and back. His tail has been shedding but for some reason half way down its just barely peeling! I did flake a bit of it off for him, just a bit to get it started and have been giving baths. During the baths, I try massaging the tissue with no success.

Any idea whats going on? This is the second time his tail has done this

Selkie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Let it come off on its own --- its called stubborn shed --- you can try misting him in his tank under basking light a couple times a day-- it may help it along
Karrie

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drogon
KarrieRee":2ozpbl9e said:
Let it come off on its own --- its called stubborn shed --- you can try misting him in his tank under basking light a couple times a day-- it may help it along
Karrie

Ok! I keep seeing all sorts of scary stuff saying retained shed causes their tails to fall off and its a sign of dehydration. Oh and he hatess misting so its always fun during shedding time -_- lol

Selkie

JumpinJellyfish

Juvie Member
I've had really good luck with leaving a very shallow (like 1/2-inch deep) dish with water in Norbert's tank, where he walks through it on his way to different spots. It doesn't cause humidity problems, and it gets his toes and tail wet. He has had no issues with retained shed in those areas since I started doing that. :0)

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drogon
JumpinJellyfish":l502fxhm said:
I've had really good luck with leaving a very shallow (like 1/2-inch deep) dish with water in Norbert's tank, where he walks through it on his way to different spots. It doesn't cause humidity problems, and it gets his toes and tail wet. He has had no issues with retained shed in those areas since I started doing that. :0)

Yeah, I've tried that :/ Drogon is seriously like a cat. He hates everything to do with water, whether it's misting, bathing, soaking, etc. When it's bathtime, he barely touches the water with a toe claw and starts climbing up my arm XD

I've started using this shed-ease spray and it did wonders :)
Selkie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Selkie,

So did the shed finish?

The bottom half of the tail is always slow. You can imagine that part of the tail doesn't grow too much, or at least not as much as the rest of the body. So it typically is slower to come off.

-Brandon

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Drogon
claudiusx":1i7ll927 said:
Hi Selkie,

So did the shed finish?

The bottom half of the tail is always slow. You can imagine that part of the tail doesn't grow too much, or at least not as much as the rest of the body. So it typically is slower to come off.

-Brandon

Hi Brandon!
Yes it went well, much better when I started using the shed ease spray. I mean, it was stuck on there for at least a few weeks which is why I was getting concerned. Ive found that warm water baths and a gentle scrub with a soft paper towel also helped alot to loosen it up!

Selkie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom