Dragon has coccidia - cage sanitazion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziranos

He had his first vet visit earlier this month. Since reptiles are uncommon pets here in Norway, there aren't many exotic vets here, and the vet I visited was not at all knowledgeable about bearded dragons. I thought they would have mentioned that before I confirmed the appointment, but no... The very expensive fecal exam told us that he has two types of coccidia (direct quote, she didn't expand further on what types or how high the levels were) and I'm picking up his medication tomorrow. She didn't mention what type it was, I can update tomorrow after I pick it up.

She said to wash his cage daily from the day he starts his treatment, with either F10 or warm soap water. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it should be enough to just spot clean if I strip away all his decorations? I'm leaving in one hide, one rock, and a T-rex skull that he loves to lie under. Some more questions I have:

- Do I need to change his paper towels out every day while he's getting his treatment, or is weekly enough? I of course change out the affected paper towels straight away when he poops.
- I need to order the F10, haven't seen it in any stores. Instructions state a 1:250 dilution for high level disinfection - is this adequate, or should I go for 1:125?
- How long of a contact time does F10 need? 20 minutes, and rinse with water?
- For all the decorations - can F10 be used on plastic plants, natural rocks, branch, bowls and fake hides? I've heard that baking the rocks and branch is an option, but there's still the other decos to consider. I'm also not sure if the branch even fits in the oven, and one hide is made out of plastic, so don't really want to put that in the over.

Thanks in advance for your help. Columbia, my dragon, is doing well all things considered. He never lost his appetite, he just has stinky runny poops that will hopefully be fixed after his medication.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Please do let us know which meds he is getting. If you can order F10 I would just mix it at 1:250 and spray it on anything that gets in contact with poop. 10 min contact time is usually enough, but you can let it dry if you want to. It can go on any of the enclosure decorations. As far as paper towels go, I'd replace them when soiled but otherwise maybe every few days if they don't come in contact with poop.

Ziranos

Original Poster
CooperDragon":1utuyh7q said:
Please do let us know which meds he is getting. If you can order F10 I would just mix it at 1:250 and spray it on anything that gets in contact with poop. 10 min contact time is usually enough, but you can let it dry if you want to. It can go on any of the enclosure decorations. As far as paper towels go, I'd replace them when soiled but otherwise maybe every few days if they don't come in contact with poop.

Thanks!

The medication is Baycox (50mg/ml) I’m to give him 0.07 ml for three days. Now, the smallest unit size they had at the pharmacy was 250ml - which means I have A LOT more than I will need. Any ideas on what to do with the rest after treatment? Keep it for the three months before it expires in case the coccidia comes back? Try to give it to another owner? Find a sheep farmer? :p

I read the on site article about parasites, and saw a few post-treatment products recommended. I couldn’t find any of the mentioned ones, but I saw Vetark Reptoboost on one store. Should I get some?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Thats a lot of medicine! They wouldn't sell a smaller package to you? I would refrigerate the rest and hang onto it for a little while. If you find a farmer who could use it then it may be worth passing along rather than wasting it.

If you can't get F10, then a mix of ammonia and water should be able to sanitize against coccidia too.

If you see a lack of appetite after the meds you can offer some reptaboost or some probiotics. Acidophilus in non-dairy yogurt might help. It may not be necessary though.

Ziranos

Original Poster
They didn't have any smaller packaging! I don't know it's because the pharmacy was a smaller one, or if they simply don't carry smaller units in my country. Thanks, I'll do that.

I did find and order F10, I'm not too keen on ammonia (personal preference). I did order the Reptoboost just in case, it's nice to have just in case. Hope the treatment works, and that he bounces back quickly! Also got him some new fake plants to make his house cozier - I dislike how barren it is :(

105941-5126701551.jpg

Bonus pic of him brooding after I cleaned out his viv

I think I have sanitazion and the medicine under control now. Is there anything else I should know, or is it just a waiting game at this point?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think it's just a waiting game really. Administer meds, keep everything clean to prevent re-infection, and test again in a few weeks after treatment is complete.

I think you'll like the F10. I use it for sanitizing regularly. It is mild with no smell and safe to use at diluted amounts. A small bottle of it tends to last several years in my case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom