Im new to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilaN

So I recently got a bearded dragon, which i had been wanting for a while. And i am curious, should i have any sort of night light?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Welcome--- no nite lights -- no coil UVB's and no Sand! Please ask questions if you have them
Karrie

MilaN

Original Poster
Thank you so much! Im just wondering out of curiosity, why are night lights ruled out?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They disturb their sleep and can cause long term eye damage--- if you need help w/ lighting feeding etc please ask- there are a lot of experienced beardie owners here
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Yup, no night lights :) you wouldnt like to sleep with a giant light over you, dragons dont either :) they sleep best in darkness.

If you need to add supplemental heat at night to the tank, you can use a ceramic heat emitter. this produce heat but no light. And you only really need this of your house drops below 65 at night.

Feel free to ask any questions you have :)

-Brandon

MilaN

Original Poster
Thank you so much! Also, my dragons poop has been runny for the past two days...what does that imply?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What does his diet look like? What are his basking temps and how are you taking them? NO stick ons they are inaccurate- you need a digital probe thermometer or / and infrared heat gun--- what are you using for a UVB? lighting and basking temps are the two most crucial things in that tank - it controls the digestion and absorption of calcium and over all health of your dragon
Karrie

MilaN

Original Poster
He is mostly eating live insects right now for he is a 2 month old. Im using a zoom med UVB Deep Dome and the tem is usually around 90-100

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That did not tell me anything as far as a UVB --- is it a tube or coil-- either take a pic of the tank and lighting or look on the bulb and tell me what it is-- and how are you getting the 90-100 temp --- for a baby he needs temps 105-110--- also he should be getting a salad every day --- here is a site for nutrition http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
please post pics of the tank and lighting
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic it should post
Karrie

MilaN

Original Poster
107165-2765190015.jpg
. This is the UBV im currently using. And what would be good for a salad? I have. Been feeding him veggies but he tends to be fuzzy about it

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so not knowing exactly what that is I can tell you it needs to be replaced ---- you need to get a fixture / hood w/ a reflector you can get one from here for $32 http://www.pangeareptiles.com get a 24" fixture - I dont know what size tank your using but if you need to upgrade it will go right into a bigger tank next you need to get this bulb a Reptisun 10.0 either the T 5 or a T 8 they require certain distances so please let us know what you get so we can help w/ placement of the UVB --- if you have a real small tank like 20 gallon I recommend getting the T 8 bulb for now - later you can upgrade the bulb to a T 5 if you want --- next his basking temps how are you taking them? Its most helpful if we can see the tank and lighting ----------- I can help w/ the eating of the vegies - and getting him to eat them ---
Karrie

MilaN

Original Poster
Thank you, i would really appreciate the help with the diet. Im using this because it was what i was instructed by the employee at PetSmart...they told me to place them as so and said the temperature would be ok as long as it was between 90-100 since the store temp was 25
107165-4128888706.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok first rule of thumb do not listen to the pet smart people they should not be selling things they have no knowledge of ----------- more times they kill the dragon --- next get the UVB replaced ASAP-- what size tank is that ? is it a 20 gallon ---? You dragon will not eat if the lighting and basking temps are not correct in that tank --- so lets get the lighting fixed first - then your dragon will eat like a champ-- get a probe thermometer from petsmart $5 place it on the decor you have under the basking bulb let it sit there for 10 minutes then get the temp - it needs to be 105-110-- you will haft to upgrade that tank soon - they grow fast and he wont be in that small tank long - I recommend getting as big a tank as you can afford - you can look on craigslist or FB market watch for tanks and I recommend getting a tank w/ front doors - If you can afford a new tank let me know I can give you some websites for new ones - if you decide to go w/ a used on make sure you sanitize it real good before use -- but first lets get the UVB replaced and work on getting him to eat - he will go thru relocation stress so thats gonna slow that appetite down -- you want to get some BSFL from here
http://www.symtonbsf.com I checked this website you can get the super worms from here --- you can also get dubias from here as well - butter worms I think they are out but the are a good worm to feed as well - get that UVB changed out and if you need more help or want more help please ask - we want your guy eating and growing
Karrie -

MilaN

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the help, i have truly been worried sick. I just want to give him the best life posible. Could you post a picture of the type of theremometer? Ive been searching for it and can’t seem to find it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom