Beardie won’t drink water

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I recently got a baby bearded dragon and she won’t drink water I tried putting a water bowl in her enclosure and that didn’t work so I also tried giving it to her with an eye dropper but she won’t lick it off she just lets it sit there. Please help!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is she eating her greens? You can rinse her greens before serving and she will get hydration from that as well as her insects being gutloaded-- she should be fed salad/ greens every morning-- you can add bsfl and 1-3 super worms to her salad to entice her to bowl-- make sure you use a glass bowl the worms can't get out of and add them to her salad so she can see you do this
If you need more help or questions please ask
Karrie

SubGuy

So the key is the poo. The white part urate (spelling) specifically. If that is normal, should be well formed, not chalky or super runny when she excretes it, things are fine. Beardies in the wild get their water from a) food b) dew drops in the mornings. So if she is eating veggies regularly, she is getting plenty. If your still concerned, try a bath. Some will drink there. Also try misting her with room temp water. Remember she is a dessert reptile and doesn't require a ton of water. It is very normal for her not to drink standing water, so do not fret. Just check the poo!

Lemonrosmary

Original Poster
Thank you, I do wet her greens but she doesn’t really eat them unless I feed them to her by hand she is still a baby her Urates are kind of hard though.

SubGuy

With babys, I've found fruits can be a good way to get some water in them. Raspberries, strawberries or clementines seem to be favorites, plus very high in vitamins. If they wont go to the bowl, try hand feeding small pieces, both of my dragons have loved berries!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Best source of hydration for a hatchling dragon is live insects , some like silkworms are better at providing hydration than others ( ie crickets , but they can be enhanced by gutloading them with leafy greens and carrot ( to nibble on ) ).

My observation is not many hatchling bearded dragons will see standing water as something to drink, they are more likely to want to poo in the pool , sit in the pool to cool off , or sit in it to relieve the itchies when in shed .
They are more likely to take water if drops are deposited on their snout.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
@Subguy please do not feed your dragon citrus!! As far as hydration try adding some super worms BSFL on top of your salads -- feed first thing in the morning and make sure your using a glass bowl and let him see you add the worms to the bowl -- this will entice him to bowl - you can use as many BSFL as you want do not dust them - super worms 1-3 - the movement will attract him to the bowl -- let him eat from the bowl for like an hr or so - after that take a few vegies out leave some in and add your staple feeder crickets will haft to be disabled by pulling a leg off - dubia roaches are the easiest to work w/ and better nutrition anyway ---- I use those
Here is a website for BSFL - www.symtonbsf.com- order large
website for nutrition -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html-- please look over it will tell you what to feed what not to feed and how often to feed -- if the urate is formed moist and white its good - if its chalky and dry he needs water
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
KarrieRee":og5rod9h said:
@Subguy please do not feed your dragon citrus!! As far as hydration try adding some super worms BSFL on top of your salads -- feed first thing in the morning and make sure your using a glass bowl and let him see you add the worms to the bowl -- this will entice him to bowl - you can use as many BSFL as you want do not dust them - super worms 1-3 - the movement will attract him to the bowl -- let him eat from the bowl for like an hr or so - after that take a few vegies out leave some in and add your staple feeder crickets will haft to be disabled by pulling a leg off - dubia roaches are the easiest to work w/ and better nutrition anyway ---- I use those
Here is a website for BSFL - http://www.symtonbsf.com- order large
website for nutrition -- http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html-- please look over it will tell you what to feed what not to feed and how often to feed -- if the urate is formed moist and white its good - if its chalky and dry he needs water
Karrie

Just make sure the superworms are small , about mealworm size ( they have a softer exoskeleton than mealworms unless you only select the freshly shed white very soft worms ).

I don't recommend superworms as a staple though , only use as a treat / bribe / appetizer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom