Possible eye infection, at home remedies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGuy

Hey all, long time reader, first time poster. I have a 2 month old beardie with a possible eye infection. She was cleared up, but I moved about 3 days ago and it is back. She can open it, does so frequently and can see things. I think it's an infection vice light issue because 1) it came back day of the move when she had no lights, and 2) it's only the left eye. Has a little goop and maybe crusting. Could be shed related as well as she is starting to shed her head. What I'm wondering is if anybody has any at home remedies? Its terribly cold in the north east and she is just now getting back to eating normally from the move stress. I'm rinsing with saline already. Thanks guys.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Could you post a picture of the eye for us to see?

Are you using any loose substrates? Sometimes they (or the dust) can cause eye issues.

Saline is good to help rinse the eye. Has that been working at all, or is that how you cleared it up the first time?

Could you go over your light setup with us just so we can rule that out? Typically eye issues are caused by a foreign material, improper lighting, or a virus/infection. So it makes sense to try to rule out as many causes as we can.

-Brandon

SubGuy

Original Poster
So the lights: T5 HO in a sun blaster about 6 inches from badking spot, she can get a little closer if she chooses. Bulb is on top of fly mesh.basking spot is 105F to 107F. Substrate is repticarpet. But again, the day it came back she was out of the tank in a carrier for about 5 hours. Seemed good when we left and it was back when I got her unloaded.
Yes saline was what cleared it up last time. But the fact that it came back leads me to believe there may be an underlying issue.
I'll post a picture a little later, Leia is not a morning dragon and has not yet woke up for the day :p

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
T5 HO in a sun blaster about 6 inches from basking spot--------- this is too close for a T 5 -- it should be 12-15 inches from basking spot--- I would say the rays are irritating the eye --- others on here would need to give advice on how to treat - in the mean time I would get the T 5 moved to proper distance --
Karrie

SubGuy

Original Poster
KarrieRee":27wm0vgx said:
T5 HO in a sun blaster about 6 inches from basking spot--------- this is too close for a T 5 -- it should be 12-15 inches from basking spot--- I would say the rays are irritating the eye --- others on here would need to give advice on how to treat - in the mean time I would get the T 5 moved to proper distance --
Karrie

Even with the screen? The 12-15 was unscreened, I thought

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
On top of screen it should be 8-10 inches from basking- your thinking of a T 8 - and they should be inside the tank of 8-10 inches but a T 5 is too strong for 6 inches - move your decor piece down to 8-10 from screen
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Yeah ideally if on the screen it should be 8-10 inches, but I doubt that would have caused the eye issue.

I've heard of people using raw unpasteurized honey thinned with water to apply to the eye but I've never done it personally.

It could be from shed. In the pictures it does look like your dragon has a lot of loose fine shed around the face and eyes.

I'd be more apt to just continue with the saline rinses.

-Brandon

SubGuy

Original Poster
Yeah, I decided to try the honey and see if that helps. Correct me if I am wrong, but I figure if it were the lights, it'd be both eyes? And if it were shed, how long do you figure that would go on? It's been two weeksish

SubGuy

Original Poster
So because so many threads end without mentioning resolution, I thought I'd update. Two days of twice daily honey water application solved the issue. I'm not convinced either way on whether it was shed that the moisture/ Qtip freed up or if it was an infection. But either way she's good now. Thanks Brandon and Kerrie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom