UVB Spacing for Exoterra 36x18x12

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoagDad

Hi all,

First time 3 month old beardie owner here. Forgive me as I'm sure this question has been asked many times in the forums. I want to be sure we're taking good care of Smoag. We have him in an Exoterra 36x18x12 with the original mesh screen on top. I purchased a Reptisun T5 HO Reflector Hood and have put a Reptisun 22" 10.0 UVB in it. My question is how far should Smoag be away from the light considering it's a reflector going through a mesh screen. There's only 12 inches of depth in these vivs and I've read that 12" of space is needed between the beardie and the light. Thanks in advance.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's kind of a rough estimate. The mesh tops on those are pretty fine (I leave mine off) and intercept quite a bit. I'd put the main basking platform about 8-10'' below the bulb but you can allow access closer via a branch or something like that. You also want to provide areas away from the UVB light so there are plenty of options available.

SmoagDad

Original Poster
Does this look ok? The amount of education we've gotten from the websites/forums has been invaluable. We like all other beardie parents want to see Smoag grow and thrive and we appreciate all the help!

107150-4576050867.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah that looks good. Are your two temp probes showing about 100-105 on the hammock/basking spot and about 75-80 on the cool side by the rock? If so, you should be in good shape for UVB and temps.

It's fairly similar to my setup which is the 18'' tall version. I just have the top off and suspend the lights from adjustable stands.

76248-8383156387.jpg

SmoagDad

Original Poster
I’m showing 104.5 on the hammock side and 84 on the cool side. Now if he’d just eat his crickets we’d be laughing.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A little warm on the cool side. Do you have a CHE on over the cool end? If so, that can probably turn off. Not a huge deal though either way. Have you tried offering a different feeder? Sometimes they just get bored. Black soldier fly larvae and silkworms are another good choice to offer young dragons when you can get them.

SmoagDad

Original Poster
I’ve been meaning to try Phoenix worms but they seem to be pretty expensive .75 vs .11 for crickets. You’ve been awesome thanks so much for all of your help!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Phoenix worms are just name brand Black Soldier Fly Larva (BSFL). Hence their price... LOL.
The site Karrie linked to has basically the cheapest BSFL you can get, they are great I order from them quite often.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom