Softening Scales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReptilianPotato

I was referred to this forum by a user of another beardie forum about my dragon, Papyrus.
She’s been having something odd going on with some of her scales. Her problem is some discolored and shriveled scales that, after her daily bath, are soft and tender. Touching them causes her to display discomfort (flicking her tail at my hand, jerking away from touch, and mild defensive posturing). I’ve noticed her being more active recently and we’ve finished transitioning her to her adult feeding schedule. The afflicted areas are mostly present in places she commonly puts pressure (her palms, knees, elbows, certain belly, beard, and tail patches, and her foot pads)
I am unsure of whether it’s a deficiency, an illness, or just a result of her hyperactivity.
51a87f99-6501-481c-b30f-c6cf40c1d1f6-jpeg.21354
66bbfea6-2382-4f5c-bd36-a6150f00b5ed-jpeg.21353
58f75db5-b5d3-4b85-8f6d-a892e60755a5-jpeg.21351
7cc5c211-6c55-4b1e-965c-2c4f0715684c-jpeg.21352
4e23ec53-7094-4ae8-9d3f-a65e374ef73c-jpeg.21350
5526c667-a1d9-41c1-ae65-f35f8976e5ed-jpeg.21349

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, beardies at times will get little rough spots here + there and it's generally not any type of problem. It's possible that some spots are from waking + rubbing on things in the tank, the colorful bridge might even be just a little more rough on her feet than a usual type of branch or log. But there's nothing that would be a health problem there, and beardies often do kick away when we mess with their feet + tail, it's just reaction. You could put a dab of neosporin on the one foot and cut the baths down to once a week unless she's dirty. Baths can worsen skin problems , beardies rarely encounter bodies of water in the wild that they would wade in to. Other than that I'm sure she's fine ,she looks good weight + healthy . :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that it doesn't look too concerning and may be from walking on hard or rough surfaces. When I saw similar with my dragon (From running around on tile all the time) I started putting fleece blankets down over part of the tile and that provided a softer surface and helped the hands and feet heal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom