My adult beardie rescue is not eating anything at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gyovanna

Hello, 3 days ago I got my first bearded dragon, he's a 3 year old who has been good taken care of from what I heard from his former owner but he no longer can take care of this bearded dragon and all his other reptiles. So I brought him to my home, he came with his previous tank a 4x2x2, all the decoration and lighting. My problem is my beardie is stressed, which I understand and I have to be patient because everything is so new to him and it takes time to adjust, but he's NOT EATING ANYTHING. His first morning here, he eat one worn and a few green leafs. But now today and yesterday he hasn't ate anything at all, and I have tried everything possible that I could think of (hand feeding, leaving him alone to eat, putting him in a separate bin bugs to catch, offering treats, different kinds of live insects, canned insects, changing his salad twice a day to make sure its fresh) but he won't eat anything. I'm really worried because he's skinny, way skinnier compared to all the dragons I have seen (mine is 21.5 inches long). His former owner said he's in perfect health and he's lazy and likes to be hand fed, which I have been trying to do every couple hours.
He's black bearded most of the time, he stretches his beard constantly and scratches the wall (3/4 of the walls are covered).
Today he's been mad but also sleepy, and that's what makes me think it could be brumation, but he has pooped everyday since I got him (today his poop was on the runny side) and his former owner said he has never fully went to sleep during brumation but his system slows down and he doesn't eat as much or do much.
His temperatures are on point so that's not the problem, I also have his vitamins and calcium but he's not receiving it because he's not eating. Please give me some insight guys :( could this be stress from the new environment and what can I do? Could this brumation, or both stress and brumation? Maybe an illness? What can I do?? Please help

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The lighting in the tank UVB what is it coil or a tube? How old is it? Yes they do go thru relocation stress very common but if all was moved w/ him he should not of stopped eating all together - next take a pic of his poop and post - how bad is the smell? Often it could mean parasites and if hes under weight and poop is runny and smell I mean smell bad its a good sign of parasites along w/ the not eating-- all good signs of parasites -- if that is the case I would get a sample of it call your local reptile vet and take the sample in have it tested- here is a website if you dont have one to find one
www.arav.org ------- see if they can take a sample from you and go from there --- if this is the case you still need to find out how old the UVB is --- depending on what your using we can tell you when it should be replaced --
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Karrie always gives good advice. ?
I became slave to an adult (abt 2.5 yrs) at Thanksgiving, so I'm still a newbie. But with lots of reading I've found that we have a tendency to over think things and stress too quickly. An adult not eating for a few days or even weeks, is not uncommon and it worries us more than them. ? Check out the things Karrie told you and try not to stress. I believe all animals will pick up on our stress and it just makes it more stressful for them.
Keep us posted on his progress and how about a pic or 2 of him and his house? Love pics! ?
-Dee

gyovanna

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the advice Karrie it means a lot, his UVB light is a tube Arcadia 12% T5 HO 22 inches, his former owner said the UVB light should be good for another 5 months. Today his poop was really small but looked solid and the urates was in a different place from the poop (I don't know if thats normal) but I'll attach a picture when I figure out how to do that lol
I'm also about the call my local vets to ask about a fecal analysis.
I weighted my dragon and his weight is 1lb and 4oz not including the tail.

gyovanna

Original Poster
Thank you so much for understanding how I feel Dee!! It's so hard not to stress and worry specially being a first time bearded dragon owner!! It's very weird for me not seeing him eat everyday, but hopefully I'll get to take him to a vet soon and check for parasites. I'll post some pictures of him and his enclosure. I noticed that they don't like change inside the enclosure, because when I got him I tried to change some things around and add more things to make it more comfortable, but he didn't like that so I changed it back to how it was originally and my dragon seemed happier about it but still not eating anything.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is in the tank or on top of screen? Makes a difference-- you can post pic by going to top of page in banner user image uploader download pics then on top of message box click on ximg click on pics they should post
Karrie

gyovanna

Original Poster
107152-5177768008.jpg

This is my bearded dragon. I turned off his basking lamp to take this picture so you guys can see his colors and everything. Does he look healthy to you? Anything about his weight?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
How far is the UVB? It should be 12-15 inches from basking decor--- it looks farther to me--- if it is please get another piece of decor or get the one you have propped up closer to it -- there should be no cover over that bulb in the fixture -- the poop could be from something they are eating - it looks like very little urate -- how is he getting water? If they are dehydrated they wont eat --- between the relocation stress - possible dehydration and the UVB is all a possibility of not eating-- to me he looks good not skinny at all --- keep track of the weight - weigh in grams - an adult dragon over 300 grams is a good weight-
Karrie

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
What a good lookin' boy! Nice home too! ?
Yeah, they don't seem to care much for change. I figure if Petey's good with it, I gotta be. ? Once I get his new viv, he'll have to adjust and then that's it.
-Dee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom