Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Drogon <3 RIP 2019- March 11, 2024 Lily: new girl in the house/ 5 months old
Hi Everyone!

Please see my first post here before responding
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=251767

-I have since then made the change to vinyl flooring slats instead of sand.

Recently, I switched Drogon to BSFL from Sympton and stopped giving him crickets. As all beardie owners know, they are a pain and quite messy. I also give him 1-2 small mealworms or waxworms with his morning salad to encourage him to eat greens.

Recently, I've noticed that Drogon's poo has a lot of undigested BSFL and some full waxworms!! His basking temp is usually at 100-105 with gradients and an incline for comfort. I'm not sure why this is happening and I'm kinda freaking out that he has parasites X___X

I feed Drogon about 1 tsp (1 plastic spoons worth) of BSFL a day. He used to eat it so fast that I now put kale leaves over them to act as a puzzle and slow him down.

What do you guys think is going on?

**Edit: I also want to mention he's in the process of shedding and has been constantly sporting a blackbeard for a month, regardless if he's happy, sad, or puffing out at the TV!*

Thanks!
Worried Selkie :oops:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Selkie,

BSFL are notorious for going through undigested. They are so soft and small, a lot of dragons just woof them down without chewing. BSFL developed to be able to withstand acidic/harsh environments, so while they do die in the GIT, if they aren't chewed up, they don't really get digested well.

The best thing to do would be to feed him 1 or 2 at a time to encourage him to actually chew them. Otherwise, they just don't last long enough in the GIT of a growing dragon that poo's every day or almost every day to be digested.

Some dragons are chompers, some dragons just swallow them right down lol.

-Brandon

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
claudiusx":1a1epse8 said:
Hi Selkie,

BSFL are notorious for going through undigested. They are so soft and small, a lot of dragons just woof them down without chewing. BSFL developed to be able to withstand acidic/harsh environments, so while they do die in the GIT, if they aren't chewed up, they don't really get digested well.

The best thing to do would be to feed him 1 or 2 at a time to encourage him to actually chew them. Otherwise, they just don't last long enough in the GIT of a growing dragon that poo's every day or almost every day to be digested.

Some dragons are chompers, some dragons just swallow them right down lol.

-Brandon

Hi Brandon!

Thanks for the reply and I hope all is going well with your beardies :)

That makes sense! Drogon is adorable with his little teeth but he seems to have a vacuum mouth instead XD

Also, I tried asking the company this but havent gotten a response.
I know you dont have to dust them with calcium, but what about multi vite powder?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You can dust them once or twice a week with the vitamins if you want. They are high in calcium which is why you don't need to calcium dust them. But if he's not eating his salads well, a multivitamin would be a good idea.

-Brandon

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
claudiusx":3a7kqeqa said:
You can dust them once or twice a week with the vitamins if you want. They are high in calcium which is why you don't need to calcium dust them. But if he's not eating his salads well, a multivitamin would be a good idea.

-Brandon

Thanks so much :)
Drogon is impartial. He prefers spring mix but Ive been adding some kale. Hes not a fan but munches a few pieces xD

Thanks again for the advice!

Selkie1993

Juvie Member
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Muffin797":35cxai4i said:
How often should we be using multi-vitamins? I'd always heard that bearded dragons only needed calcium and D3.

Once or twice a week is fine :) just do a light dusting like you would the calcium. Ive been using Herpivite with beta carotene(blue label) once a week now that hes good with vegetables!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom