Broad-spectrum UVA/UVB conundrum!

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiseWolf

Hello, everyone,

I lost my bearded dragon companion 6 years ago and still miss him. I've lent some of his things to friends after he passed away and, as I prepare for my next bearded dragon, I'm finding there are some things I may need to buy again. However, it seems that, in 6 years' time, certain things have become difficult to find (at least at acceptable prices). HELP!

I have ceramic heat emitters for constant heat, full-spectrum daylight basking bulbs for heat and light, but I still need a source of broad-spectrum UVA/UVB. I USED TO use 48 inch long T8 "tube" fluorescent lights, usually a ReptiSun 10.0 high output. But it seems very difficult to find this size again. My previous hood for the light bulbs was never returned to me, but a replacement hood was given to me, which is slightly different. Either way, I think it will still work. However, with having so much difficulty finding exactly the type of broad-spectrum UVA/UVB lighting that I used before, I'm thinking I'll need to buy a whole new type of light and a whole new type of hood in which to place it/them.

I have a glass terrarium that is 48 inches long by 18 inches wide and 21 inches deep, with a screen top. I'm willing to build a "hide-a-way" topper for the lights, so the screen isn't in the way.

Anyway...PLEASE give me your UVA/UVB lighting suggestions, especially for this type of terrarium. Thank you all!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I know lighting can seem quite difficult at first, but it really is quite simple.

You really only need 2 things.

1. A basking bulb that produces light and heat. All this bulb really needs to do is provide the temperatures you need in your tank.

2. A UV bulb. This bulb is what provides the majority of your UVA and all of your UVB.

For your setup, I'd go with the reptisun 10.0 HO. Note there are 2 different reptisun 10.0s. The standard which is a t8 bulb (fits into a t8 fixture) and the HO (high output) version which is a T5 bulb which fits into a T5 fixture.

Do you know if the fixture you have right now is a t5 or a t8?

The only other "light" you might want is a CHE. A CHE doesn't actually produce light, but it produces heat. It's useful if you're temps drop too low at night. Otherwise, it's not really needed.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sorry to hear about your dragon-- what is most recommended on the forum is a fixture that is not the full length of the tank--- he needs to be able to get out of the rays-- so a fixture that is 2/3 of the tank w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 or T 8 bulb--- also Arcadia 12% bulbs are good too- the hood needs a reflector- I don't know if the hood you have now has one but it does need one
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom