A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That face just screams "are you seriously going to take a picture of everything I do?"

Don't let it get to you, the correct answer is YES! LOL

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":s1ah6r6n said:
That face just screams "are you seriously going to take a picture of everything I do?"

Don't let it get to you, the correct answer is YES! LOL

-Brandon

If I sit on the couch I swear they watch me from their side of the room. It's maybe 12 feet away. They're pretty attuned to small movements and movements in general which I didn't expect.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think they like having things to look at, and people watching. It's one thing I don't like about my setup. They are in their own room, so they don't get much enrichment unless we go in there and hang out. Despite how pretty I try to build the tanks, the wife still doesn't like the idea of keeping 1 or 2 in the living room :(

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":lqa5c9c1 said:
I think they like having things to look at, and people watching. It's one thing I don't like about my setup. They are in their own room, so they don't get much enrichment unless we go in there and hang out. Despite how pretty I try to build the tanks, the wife still doesn't like the idea of keeping 1 or 2 in the living room :(

-Brandon
Lol I wasn’t excited about it really either. I really wanted this for my kids though, so sacrifices must be made haha. And it’s not too bad now. They’re fun to watch, even from a distance. My dog sits and watches them too. I’m glad we had them in the house for so long without anything in them because he’s so used to them now he doesn’t notice them unless he sees them moving, and then he’s learning not to crowd. If their cages are open he gets locked up.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Got the BSFL in and that’s the most enthusiastic Wilbur (formerly Elliot) has been about food. He would eat greens, but had kinda left the roaches alone. But he’s at his food bowl now and came down from his spot lightning fast when I put them in.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well hopefully he will eat both :) make sure add to the top of his salads he it will get him to eat his greens
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":p18mqhrs said:
Well hopefully he will eat both :) make sure add to the top of his salads he it will get him to eat his greens
Karrie
I think he will eat it all eventually he’s finishing up his shed now. CandyCane is now shedding on her legs it looks like and she’s been itching her face too so I’m assuming more is to come.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
83146468_10104313324395610_3669784426100817920_n.jpg

Miss thing hanging out this morning, literally.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
82979020_10104314338902530_8757639011775807488_n.jpg

Wilbur is super bright now that he's finished shedding. He's coming down more and more, eating out of his bowl and getting acclimated to his enclosure. He will take food from the tweezers now, but if it moves a bit too fast he's off lol.
82775280_10104314338927480_2901687331176054784_n.jpg

She's brightening up like crazy. Hard to get a picture of her colors but she's almost a neon peach on her sides. It's truly insane. And she stares. Obviously.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They are so cute when they are little -- and find the craziest places to get into --
Karrie

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Your dragons get cuter with each pic you post! Love their coloration, and glad to hear that they're settling in well. BSFL are a miracle food for dragons... I only wish they were larger, for when our dragons get bigger! Figment can go through 100 larges in one meal... he practically inhales them, and they go right in one end and out the other, which kinda defeats the nutritional value, but I'm hoping that SOME get chewed and properly digested! Keep the pics coming, and the stories of the kids and their dragons, too! :D

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
83049381_10104315396348400_7660035509120401408_o.jpg

Link, our dog, likes watching them too.
On a side note, Wilbur (formerly Elliot) freaked us all out when he bulged his eyes, but I'm assuming it's because his head is going to be shedding soon. It was just...very unpleasant to see lol. Freaked out my son to say the least.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
How long is typical for a baby bearded dragon to keep their stress marks after relocation? Wilbur still has his.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
opaquelace":yu3ipgev said:
How long is typical for a baby bearded dragon to keep their stress marks after relocation? Wilbur still has his.

I don’t know if there’s a “typical” time; dragons are all individuals, so one could settle in within a week and another could take several weeks. As long as he’s basking and getting warm enough (stress marks don’t always mean they’re stressed; he could get them if he’s cold) and eating well, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. :)

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
ComicBookMama":cctrscnc said:
opaquelace":cctrscnc said:

I don’t know if there’s a “typical” time; dragons are all individuals, so one could settle in within a week and another could take several weeks. As long as he’s basking and getting warm enough (stress marks don’t always mean they’re stressed; he could get them if he’s cold) and eating well, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. :)
Ok good. He’s basking, roaming around, eating. Even let me pet him this morning and closed his eyes and stayed. Usually he’ll run off after a second or two. I’m sure it didn’t help that he was in shed when I got him, but now that’s he’s out I was just wondering. Although CandyCane shed yesterday so she’s been a little...cranky I guess? Lol. Not nearly the appetite she had when she came either. Temps are good though, spritzing with water once a day for them to drink and stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom