Bitten foot and toes.bleeding, and bruised! HELP !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskies7

I have a young bearded dragon, female, that was in the tank with another female same size. They are clutch mates. One may be a tiny bit bigger, and the bigger one bit the other females front foot. I thought at first, she had gotten her foot hung in the basking limb, because there was a spot of blood on it. I cleaned the foot up, and put neosporin ointment on it. Tonight, I go in to feed and check on them. This morning they were fine, and ate good. Back to tonight........the smaller one with the hurt foot was bleeding all over the place. The toes looked like they were gone, and the foot, and leg were bruised. I wash it with betasine, put peroxide on it, dried it off, and put a splint on it, with a bandaids around the whole leg. She kept slinging it off, so I fixed it again, and then got vet wrap, cut it narrow, and wrapped it around her splint to her body, and then wrapped it secure. She hurts, but what should I do next? Will the foot or leg need to be cut off and stitches, or does it just dry up and fall off? I am so upset about this little baby. Well, she is about 8-inches long. I did put her in her own tank. Thank you to anyone who can help me.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's very sad to hear, poor little creature. :( Find a good reptile vet ASAP. Don't try to use a splint, you really don't know what the damage is yet. It's O.K. to put some raw honey on + wrap it with gauze or bandaid but if you cant get it to stay on just use honey + leave it ope. Be 100 % sure there are no loose insects [ check under everything ] they will go after the raw wound. Can you post a few pics of the foot ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ use the XIMG to upload them

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Separate them permanently. Let the injured one keep the tank it's in , move the aggressor into another tank (or tub).

DEFINITELY get the injured dragon to a reptile vet for assessment as high priority.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

l am sorry that happened, poor thing. As suggested, definitely try using the raw, unpasteurized
honey on the wounds, it is very helpful for infections, etc. I would avoid using hydrogen peroxide
though but, instead use a very diluted betadine to clean it up before putting the honey on it.
I'm glad you got him put in his own tank, it will be for the best.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Huskies7

Original Poster
I did leave him in his tank, and moved the other one out. I am going to take him to a vet. Well actually he is coming out here. I have had dragons for years, and never had this to happen to me. They are not very big, and I knew they would do that some time, but did not expect it so soon. But it did, and it breaks my heart! ? Thank you for all of your help. I just happened to find this website, and this is the first time using it, so I am learning. Thank you all so much. I will keep you posted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, it is unfortunate, these types of behaviors do occur. I am glad the vet is coming out to see
him which will decrease any stress on him having to travel to a vet.
Let us know how things are going!

Tracie

Huskies7

Original Poster
I took her ( Lucy) to the vet yesterday. The did give her an anesthetic, cut the left front arm off at the elbow. At that point, she had good feeling, and enough skin and scales to wrap over, and then put it together with the glue that seals and heels. She had shot of antibiotic. She woke up afterwards, and is doing just great. She is very healthy, but I learned you cannot put two together, even when they are babies. All is good, and my reptile vet did an awesome job! She has plenty of her arm to use and help balance her. Thank you all for your help!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That sounds great the vet was helpful for her. At least she didn't lose her entire arm, etc &
should be able to have good use of it. I hope it heals up quickly.
Be sure to post some pictures of her for us also. Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom