My baby bearded dragons mouth is bleeding!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
107121-7661027093.jpg
I got my baby bearded dragon from petsmart about 3 months ago (I know it’s a risk getting them from there) and about 2 weeks ago I fed him his daily crickets and after he finished up I noticed he was opening his mouth a little funny, when I further investigated with a q-tip I found that he was bleeding from his mouth!??? And again today after I fed him greens it happened again? This has only ever happened 2 times and I don’t know what it is or what’s causing it :/
He’s currently in a 20gallon with a 75watt basking light a 13watt uvb ,, I feed him crickets 5 times a week and greens 2 times a week, he’s on a reptile Matt and I’m not sure how old he is exactly,, he’s about 7 1/2 inches of that helps,,, he’s my first BABY bearded dragon, he also seems to have a hard time swallowing his food, almost like his tongue is too big for his mouth.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. I think maybe the crickets legs poked him. Idk about the salad. Glad you listed your set up. I hate to say this but your set up needs to be re done. You need a reptisun 10.0 t5 long tube. Get rid of the heat matt. What are the temps and how do you take them? If it's those round stick on one's those are very inaccurate. Also he needs to be fed 2x a day live bugs and salad every day. He also needs his food sprinkled with calcium 5x a week. Vitamins 2x a week.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry your little one has a bit of a sore mouth.
Are the crickets smaller than the space between the eyes? If they are too large, he will have
some trouble chewing them & digesting them, too.
The cricket legs can get a bit sharp, or he may have scratched his mouth on something in his
tank possibly. Do you have any sharp rocks or other objects in his tank he could have hurt it
on?
If it is raw or sore, you can use some raw, unpasteurized honey or manuka honey on the area
to help keep it from getting infected & expedite the healing process.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you decide to try the honey treatment , don't leave any uneaten insects in the hatchlings tank as they will go for the honey and make the injury worse.

Strawberrysophia

Original Poster
destiny1998":2gaz0bzn said:
Hi. I think maybe the crickets legs poked him. Idk about the salad. Glad you listed your set up. I hate to say this but your set up needs to be re done. You need a reptisun 10.0 t5 long tube. Get rid of the heat matt. What are the temps and how do you take them? If it's those round stick on one's those are very inaccurate. Also he needs to be fed 2x a day live bugs and salad every day. He also needs his food sprinkled with calcium 5x a week. Vitamins 2x a week.
I do not have a heat Matt, I meant a reptile carpet,, instead of loose substrate,, and I’ll look into the 10.0 t5 tube!!! The temp on his basking side is 95 and 90-85 on the cool side! Thanks for the tips on feeding I really appreciate it :)

Strawberrysophia

Original Poster
Drache613 said:
Hello,

Are the crickets smaller than the space between the eyes? If they are too large, he will have
The cricket legs can get a bit sharp, or he may have scratched his mouth on something in his
tank possibly. Do you have any sharp rocks or other objects in his tank he could have hurt it
on?
If it is raw or sore, you can use some raw, unpasteurized honey or manuka honey on the area
The crickets I feed him are smaller than the space between his eyes and I couldn’t seem to find any objects in his tank that couldn’t possibly scratched him and I’ll be sure try the honey treatment ,, thank you so much for replying!

Strawberrysophia

Original Poster
Strawberrysophia":zc9x9rk7 said:
Drache613":zc9x9rk7 said:
Hello,

on?
The crickets I feed him are smaller than the space between his eyes and I couldn’t seem to find any objects in his tank that couldn’t possibly scratched him and I’ll be sure try the honey treatment ,, thank you so much for replying!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That T 5 is going to be real strong for the 20 gallon but great for a 40 or bigger- if you get a fixture for a T 5 you can get a T 8 bulb till you upgrade the tank - your little one won't be in that 20 gallon long-- I would look for a tank w/ front doors on FB market place or Craigslist- if you find one make sure you sanitize it good-- make sure you get a fixture w/ a reflector
Karrie

Strawberrysophia

Original Poster
KarrieRee":y70g3pt7 said:
That T 5 is going to be real strong for the 20 gallon but great for a 40 or bigger- if you get a fixture for a T 5 you can get a T 8 bulb till you upgrade the tank - your little one won't be in that 20 gallon long-- I would look for a tank w/ front doors on FB market place or Craigslist- if you find one make sure you sanitize it good-- make sure you get a fixture w/ a reflector
Karrie
do you recommend a certain type of T8 bulb ,, and would a T5 fixture work with a T8 bulb? What does a reflector do? Sorry I’ve never really looked super into these things, as I always a bulb in a dome was fine... which I will now switch out with a tube light

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The T 8 is a less stronger bulb and get a Reptisun 10.0 you can find the T 8 bulbs at Petco or Petsmart they are the best on the market - for that 20 gallon it will be good and when you upgrade to the larger tank it will go into the tank -- but for now you want it sitting on top of the tank w/ NO screen under it - so you might want to sit the fixture width wise and get a 24" fixture -- you can look on line at Amazon or you can get one from here as well I have gotten all mine from http://www.pangeareptiles.com - they have like a generic fixture that will work it has a reflector - the reflector directs the UVB rays to him downward not all over the tank if you have one w/ no reflector --- the one on pangea is like $32 --- look under T 5 fixtures I believe --- the T 5 bulbs are strong and suitable for your bigger tanks that is why I suggested the T 8 w/ a 24 " fixture cuz later on down the road you can get the T 5 bulb -- the T 8 bulb needs to be replaced every 6 months whereas the T 5 once a year-- I forgot to mention you want a piece of decor sitting directly underneath it 8-10 inches from the light
Karrie

Strawberrysophia

Original Poster
So it’s the day after I post yesterday and yet again after feeding time little nubs mouth started to bleed it looked like this thick pink wall is in front of his teeth, now idk if that’s his gums but it completely blocked where I suspect his teeth are supposed to be? It doesn’t seem to hurt him when I touch his mouth with a q-tip, there’s also some white stuff that’s also on that “pink wall” ,, maybe it’s calcium? Is it time for the vet? Second opinion please?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please try and get a pic of the inside of his mouth- it will help Tracie the vet mod look to see what's going on-
Karrie

Strawberrysophia

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3qcryhsi said:
Please try and get a pic of the inside of his mouth- it will help Tracie the vet mod look to see what's going on-
Karrie
Thank you so much!! I’ll try and get a better picture!

Strawberrysophia

Original Poster
107121-3355700444.jpg
KarrieRee":3jdizwit said:
Karrie
This is the best picture i could get, i hope someone can get some type of answer!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom