Okay setup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoto

My little guy is around 3 months old I think, I have a 40 gallon tank for him and I just wanted to know if I might need to add or get rid of something
107127-8056881739.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The stick ons are not a good way of getting accurate basking temps- so I would invest in a digital probe from Petco or Petsmart $5 --- also you might want to pick up a infrared heat gun from you local home improvement store $10-12 - does not haft to be expensive believe me you will use it- next you need to tell me what your using for a UVB? brand and bulb and is it a coil or Tube? I cant see the lighting
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

The tank looks great. But the specific details are what determine whether a setup is ok or not :)

What are you using for your UVB source?
What are the temperatures in your tank and what are you using to measure them?

The tank looks great, so if those above criteria are up to par, you're all set :)

-Brandon

Makoto

Original Poster
I threw out the box so I can't remember the brand name. It's a 20 inch uvb though, it takes the whole right side. My temp for the basking are 100-110°. The cool is 80-90. The temp varies when I turn my head emiter on and off but other than that the temps are pretty consistent. Also humidity is 30-40 both sides all the time. I just use the guages in my tank to measure temp and humidity :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
stick on gauges are totally inaccurate -- your getting ambient temps - look on the bulb itself it will tell you what it is brand and bulb ?
Karrie

Makoto

Original Poster
Again, threw out the box, sorry. But it's 150w plus a heat emiter which is also 150w. I cycle the emiter on and off throughout the day. Then keep it on throughout the night. (Not a red light btw I know they are harmful) The lights were from petsmart

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Well I cant help you w/ the UVB as far as the distance for the bulb - I know you said its a 20" so it could be a T 8 or a T 5 --- both have certain distances they need to be for the tank - if its a T 8 bulb its not as strong and it should be in the tank - approx 8-10 inches from basking decor they are not strong enough to get thru the screen -- if its a T 5 it can sit on top of screen as long as the screen is wide holed not fine - if its a fine mesh it should be inside the tank 12-15 inches from basking decor - the heat emitter is fine as long as your tank is not dropping below 65 at nite --- I would look at getting better thermometers as your not getting accurate surface basking temps w/ the stick ons -- w/ the 150 watt heat emitter I am only using a 100 watt heat emitter on my 120 gallon tanks so I am wondering if your basking temps are way hotter - that is why I suggested the probes - stick ons are not going to give you surface temps and that is what you want
Karrie

Makoto

Original Poster
I'll look into getting a temp gun maybe they seem pretty reliable. I'll look more into the uvb situation on my own too, also you mentioned only 100w so maybe the heat emiter isn't so good since it seems like every time I turn it on he goes into his cave. I'm just worried because without it the gauge is lower than 100. Winter time makes raising juveniles so damn hard lol. Anyways thank you for the help I'll look into getting a temp gun and a better uvb if necessary. Again thank you! :)
-Dom

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What wattage are you using for the basking bulb 150 ? also you need those probes as well -- one for the cool side of the tank -- and if hes going into the cave when the heat emitter is on tells me its too hot get those probes and adjust your lights accordingly along w/ that UVB
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Yes definitely try to get a better means of measuring temps. I prefer digital with probe ends over IR thermometers. They are less finicky.

But, you need to do that to really know what your temperatures are. Temperatures are extremely important. And i've tested dial gauges that were off by 20-40 degrees. So you really are just guessing with them.

Luckily, the digital with probe ends can be picked up from any petstore or online for less than 10 bucks. A worthwhile investment.

-Brandon

Makoto

Original Poster
Recomend a specific brand of probe end? I'm just wondering if I should get a specific one.
-Dom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom