Greetings from Indianapolis, we're new!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

petitchou

Hello, my daughter recently got a bearded dragon that she's been wanting for a while, his name is Bruni. I was hoping we could get some input on the current setup. We're still getting into a routine of feeding and seeing what he likes best. Below are a few questions we're needing help with. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

The bulb that's inside is a Zoo Med 26061 Reptisun 10.0 T5-Ho Uvb 24W Fluorescent Lamp, 22". Should I remove the plastic cover or leave it on?

We have a ceramic heater that we've been leaving on at night and a daytime heat bulb for the day. Should we shut off the ceramic heater at night so it gets "cold"? Temps are being measured with a digital heat gun. At the top of the log, where he does most of his basking, sits between 95-105F.

He seems to be adjusting pretty well so far, only thing we haven't really done but once is to try and give him a "bath" for him to re-hydrate. He had no interest in the water, going to try again this weekend.
full

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Welcome to you and your baby beardie!
Being a newbie, I'll leave your questions to those with more than a couple months exp like me. ?
You've figured out how to post pics, your ahead of most! Lol! Love to see more of the little guy/girl.
-Dee

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Cover needs to be off the fixture and fixture needs to have a reflector- UVB should be 12-15 inches from basking decor-- temps at nite should not fall below 65 at nite--- brumi should be fed vegies everyday- salads greens like mustard kale collards and turnips are good staple feeders along w/ squash yellow zuccinni butternut shredded- fruit occasionally- if he's eating those salads rinse them before serving and he will get moisture there also make sure your feeding gutloaded bugs- like crickets or dubias+ I recommend dubias better nutrition and they are easier to care for- I can give you some websites and ideas on how to get him to eat his salads-- I will post them tomorrow
Karrie

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Definitely take the plastic cover off. It's blocking the uvb rays. Beardies like it cool and complete darkness to sleep. No heat unless your house gets below 65 at night.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)

petitchou

Original Poster
KarrieRee":21yqivz7 said:
Cover needs to be off the fixture and fixture needs to have a reflector- UVB should be 12-15 inches from basking decor-- temps at nite should not fall below 65 at nite--- brumi should be fed vegies everyday- salads greens like mustard kale collards and turnips are good staple feeders along w/ squash yellow zuccinni butternut shredded- fruit occasionally- if he's eating those salads rinse them before serving and he will get moisture there also make sure your feeding gutloaded bugs- like crickets or dubias+ I recommend dubias better nutrition and they are easier to care for- I can give you some websites and ideas on how to get him to eat his salads-- I will post them tomorrow
Karrie

Thanks Karrie, took the cover off the light, it's currently 8.5in from the top of the log where here usually basks. Not sure if I can get it 12-15in away with having it in the tank, should we step it down to a T8? Still experimenting with veggies but he actively eats crickets and bsfl. We're trying grow the bsfl larger based on an article published here. Thanks for the links!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is there a reflector on the fixture --- 8.5 inches might be too close for a T 5 but would be good for a T 8--- also you need to get your baby to eat fresh salads now - they are a stinker when they get older and wont eat them when they need to be eating them - get a glass bowl and add your BSFL to the salads and add some small super worms if you can find them or wax worms 1-3 it will entice her / him to the bowl - feed first thing in the morning - feed your staple feeder crickets pull a leg off so they cant jump out of the bowl dubias work best as they cant get out - an hr after feeding the salad --- you want him in that bowl eating those worms and veggies ---
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom