New owner need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got my first beardie. I got him or her, not sure yet, from petco about 3 weeks ago. They said it was only about 2 months of age when I got it so I'm guessing it's almost 4 months. But I am having trouble with feeding. When I first got it I tried various sizes crickets and it would not chase any. I had to hand feed and even then it would only eat 3-4 a day plus a few bites of the veggie salad, which was kale, carrot, and red cabbage. But I recently switched to Dubai roaches about 5 days ago and get still it's only eating 4-5 per day plus the salad and 1-2 medium size mealworms. I use the rep Cal calcium powder and dust them. I also let it soak every other day for 10 min and drip water on it's nose. But as far as enclosure it's in a 40 gal tank. With 150w bask bulb and 26w uvb bulb on the other side of tank. I also just got a zilla desert t8 uvb bulb and fixture and put in the middle because they told me when I bought the kit to upgrade as soon as possible because the coil wasn't sufficient alone. The bask temp is at 108.5 and cool side at 82. I will try to post pics below. But I'm worried about how much it's eating as this is my first one and from what I have read up on they are supposed to be eating much more. It does poop about 2-3 times a day if not more. But everything I have read so far says if not eating make sure enclosure is set up right so I'm hoping someone can help with any advice or knowledge! Please and thanks!!!!!

Dylan2015kayce

Original Poster
Also some forgotten info is it is pretty skiddish when I try to handle it. It's about 6in long and it runs around the glass alot like in the picture not sure why.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get rid of the coil you dont need the 26 watt now and you need to change the bulb out that came w/ the Zilla fixture -- please get this bulb it is the best on the market at this time Reptisun 10.0 T 8 make sure the cover is off the fixture and its in the tank approx 8-10 inches from basking-that Zilla bulb is not real good --- if hes eating a little that is good - he is going thru relocation stress so his eating will slow down and once he starts to settle in he will eat more -- how are you taking the basking temps? w/ a digital thermometer stick ons or a infrared heat gun -- its good you have switched to the dubias they are way healthier for him and its great hes eating salad as well but please NO RED CABBAGE - here is a nutrition website http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
He needs greens please look at the list it will tell you what to feed how often to feed and what not to feed---- you can order some of these as a other staple feeder BSFL from here and order large if you order them https://symtonbsf.com/ you do not need to dust them as they are calcium enriched - please dust his roaches w/ calcium D3 5 x per week and vitamins 2 x per week -- if you have anymore questions please ask -the screen is filtering out 30% of those rays thats why it needs to go inside the tank----------we dont recommend coil UVBs's on this forum
Karrie

Dylan2015kayce

Original Poster
Ok. I think you are the one that helped me on one of my post a while back about it not eating much and having a yellow, almost paint like splotch on it's belly. Which vanished after it shed and hasn't come back. But as far as the bulb is considered how long do you think I could go with this one considering I just got it today.it ran me 50$. And I have taken the plastic cover off as well. I have had it for about 2 and half weeks now. He does glass surf a good bit and when I take him out he doesn't really lit it a whole lot. Sometimes it does though and will fall asleep in my hand. How long do you think it will take for it to be okay. Also I do have a cat that will come and check him out sometimes but I always run it off but it will run up to it when it sees it, like it's not scared of it , I think. I try not to let it over alot just In case. Also today I cleaned his poop out and one of them had just a tad bit of yellow on the very end of it. Not a lot and it wasn't very dark but it was a faint yellow which I haven't seen before. Thanks!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Keep the cat away he will kill it and he is stressing the dragon out--- you need to shut the cat out of the room the dragon is in- the UVB will be okay but I recommend you get the Reptisun they are around $18-20-- I also recommend you don't take him out let him get accustom to his environment -- he is a baby and it may take awhile for him to adjust- the glass surfing is pretty young but mine did it too - so could be him exploring tank--- make sure your UVB is 8-10 inches from the decor and directly underneath--- that bulb is not very strong- so you are getting accurate surface temps correct of where he sits correct?
Karrie

Dylan2015kayce

Original Poster
Okay I will do something about the cat. But it basks on the hammock and I have the probe looped around it and sitting in the middle and the temp is 108. But as far as the fixture is concerned would it be ok to ziptie it to the bottom of the screen and leave the hammock and stuff as is? Also is there anything else you think I should have in there for it? I know it is pretty basic as of now and would like to make it a little more "homey". And you said not to take him out for a while so should I stop taking it out to soak or not?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You can zip tie the fixture to screen get a piece of decor maybe the log piece underneath it--- you want it 8-10 inches from the decor piece- yes you can leave hammock as is-- is he basking in hammock? I don't use hammocks in my tanks-- I have decor pieces I bought from PetSmart-- ok so water can be given in a syringe drop water on the tip of his nose or the best way is for him to eat his vegies / salad rinsed before serving- make sure his dubias are gutloaded w/ food and hydrated w/ carrots- get a glass bowl get some bsfl add to top of salad make sure he sees you add them it will draw him to bowl-- let him eat for an hr or so from the bowl and then take some of your vegies out not all add your dubias--- he will go for the bugs along w/ his salad- you can also must him as well-- especially for shedding
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes-- the crickets like carrots an squash - I feed my dubias dubia food and carrots for hydration- I do not feed the dragons carrots tho - too much vit A- I feed other greens and squash a little fruit once in awhile- I just got them some prickly pear cactus-
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
As long as he's eating and does not completely quit he will be fine - he should be active basking pooping and eating - as long as he has good UVB basking temps he will eat-- you will notice his appetite increase + but even if he's eating little your good- offer him all things we have discussed -- they like variety-- watch his poops - they should be formed moist and dark- urate- formed moist and white-- rinse his greens before serving and get some bsfl - small worms like super 1-3 only - wax worms 1-3 you want his attention to the bowl--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom