How does my setup plan sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been working on a new setup for my juvenile beardie, FlapJack. I got him in October, 2019, and in December 2019 I got him a 4x2x2 terrarium with a screen top and sliding glass doors. This is my plan with the cage, purchasing anywhere from home depot to the reptile show tomorrow:

First the substrate- I'm doing a Bioactive. The first layer is two bags of zoo med clay balls- the second is a layer of all natural sand- the third layer is a mixture of coco coir, sand, organic topsoil, and low amounts of plant fertilizer and sulfur for the succulents, and 1-2 gallons of leaf litter from joshs frogs. I'm also getting a 32 ounce culture of springtails from joshs frogs at the show tommorow, and i'll look for good prices on isopods.
I built him a huge structure- it's 4 feet long and has staircases on both sides, leading up to a basking spot and a spot on the cool end- and it has a hide built in under the stairs. I made it out of styrofoam and grout.
Im gonna have various sticks and logs in there (not too many, dont want to crowd) as well as two flat red rocks i purchased on amazon.

For the lighting, i'm going to purchase a 48 inch uvb light strip and a t5 ho reptisun zoo med 10.0 UVB bulb to hang on the inside. He will also have a zoo med reptile basking spot bulb- 100 watts. will that on one side make the tank warm enough?

I need recommendations on thermometers and hydrometers....

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I would not get a UVB fixture the full length of the tank -- you only need 2/3 - you dont want him hiding from the UVB - he needs to be able to escape the UVB rays w/ out having to hide from it - thermometers you can get probes from Petco or Petsmart - they say not to use dial hygrometers so on that one someone else will haft to respond
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom