Bearded dragons beard is black. Not sure why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So earlier today i checked on my beardie and his beard was black, but it wasn't puffed i pulled him out of his cage he wasn't acting up or anything he just had a black beard. after handling him for a few minutes his beard went back to normal, i noticed that his lip were shedding a little so i put him in a warm bath for about 10 mins, i came back clean his cage etc... put him back in the cage and went back to homework. i check on him about 30 mins later and his beard is pitch black AGAIN. i don't know why, he isn't agressive and he doesn't appear to have any injuries. he is a male beardie, about a year old and hasn't had any medical complications. im not sure if this is important but around his nose is slightly pink, i rubbed it with my finger and he didn't seem bothered.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Black beards could mean different things - pain - hormones - distress --- things would need to be ruled out for instance temps being too hot - UVB - can you post a pic of him and his lighting ?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic--- do you have any other dragons? how about animals causing stress?
Karrie

NiGhtMaRe050910

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3cnbbqga said:
Black beards could mean different things - pain - hormones - distress --- things would need to be ruled out for instance temps being too hot - UVB - can you post a pic of him and his lighting ?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at top of message box then click on the pic--- do you have any other dragons? how about animals causing stress?
Karrie
103825-9544657762.jpg

I handled him a bit so you can see his beard but it went away when i handled him it turned black again later. and when i put him down idk why he jolted to the end of his cage not seeing the glass and smacked his nose on it, he is fine though i put paper so he can see it

NiGhtMaRe050910

Original Poster
KarrieRee":39rjiptu said:
What is in the domes and how big is the tank?
Karrie
i have a ceramic coil heat lamp that doesn't make light. Basking temp is 102 degrees other side of the cage is 75 degrees.
the other dome has a UVB I forgot the details about it. Cage is a 20 gal gonna get him a 40 gal soon.
I also take him outside in the grass to get sun in the daytime when the suns out, i watch him carefully to make sure he doesn't eat anything. so he gets about an hour of natural sunlight almost every other day.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Soon-------- please check craigslist and FB market watch for tanks --- please get the biggest you can afford- we recommend a 75-120 gallon and try to find one w/ front doors---- you need to get rid of the coil UVB and get this Reptisun 10.0 TUBE w/ a 24" fixture w/ a reflector ASAP-- and a bright white basking bulb that will keep temps 95-110 for basking --- ASAP- NO COLORED-- hang on to the heat emitter - you will not need it unless your tank is falling below 65 at nite ---- heat emitters are not for basking only to keep warm temps at nite -- has he been eating? Please get this stuff changed out immediately--- he cannot digest his food and he needs the UVB for calcium -- you will have a sick dragon on your hands ---
Karrie

NiGhtMaRe050910

Original Poster
KarrieRee":qy1e1dr4 said:
Soon-------- please check craigslist and FB market watch for tanks --- please get the biggest you can afford- we recommend a 75-120 gallon and try to find one w/ front doors---- you need to get rid of the coil UVB and get this Reptisun 10.0 TUBE w/ a 24" fixture w/ a reflector ASAP-- and a bright white basking bulb that will keep temps 95-110 for basking --- ASAP- NO COLORED-- hang on to the heat emitter - you will not need it unless your tank is falling below 65 at nite ---- heat emitters are not for basking only to keep warm temps at nite -- has he been eating? Please get this stuff changed out immediately--- he cannot digest his food and he needs the UVB for calcium -- you will have a sick dragon on your hands ---
Karrie
ok, but why will he get sick?? he eats every day i take him out he runs around gets exercise, he poops every day, i dust his super worms, his poop is healthy. he has never been agressive, he is in good shape so I think he just needs a bigger tank. when i get a bigger tank i will get a tube UVB with a reflector, because the tank i have is broken and doesnt have a top so i wont be able to put it up

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The most important thing in that tank is basking temps and good UVB- his black beard is the first warning sign- dragons hide their illness very well - until they can no longer- then sometimes it's too late - improper UVB will make him sick they have no way of absorbing calcium which he needs- he will develop mbd-- become lethargic and quit eating-- the longer you wait the more sick he will become -
Karrie

NiGhtMaRe050910

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2ghid06c said:
The most important thing in that tank is basking temps and good UVB- his black beard is the first warning sign- dragons hide their illness very well - until they can no longer- then sometimes it's too late - improper UVB will make him sick they have no way of absorbing calcium which he needs- he will develop mbd-- become lethargic and quit eating-- the longer you wait the more sick he will become -
Karrie
ok i think i figured it out. i have been very sick for about 4-5 days, waking up at 1 PM and laying in bed almost all day i'm just recovering and i haven't been turning on his UVB while i was really sick do you think that the 5 days i was sick could have been the cause? and i have had the UVB bulb for about 6 months so i am ordering a new one on amazon.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That could be they wont go long w/ out UVB--- but you must get a bright white basking bulb - heat emitters do not start the digestion process of which your dragon needs -- they need temps 95-110 to get that moving ---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I'd suggest getting a timer for your lights. You can get them for less than 15 bucks usually. That way you don't need to worry about turning lights on and off. They will be automatic at the same time every day :)

If you're only using the CHE for basking, I'd consider finding a bulb that actually produces light instead. Ideally you want a bright light basking bulb, we are trying to mimic the sun anyways remember :)
Your temps are actually fine, but it would be best to achieve those temps with a light bulb as opposed to a CHE like mentioned.

I would also suggest switching your UVB to the reptisun 10.0 long tube instead. The small screw in UVB bulbs really aren't suitable for our dragons. And UV plays a large role in their general well being.

Once you get your husbandry all situated, I think you will be all set to go, and we could at least rule out that being the cause of any issues :)

-Brandon

NiGhtMaRe050910

Original Poster
KarrieRee":it7o6y2w said:
That could be they wont go long w/ out UVB--- but you must get a bright white basking bulb - heat emitters do not start the digestion process of which your dragon needs -- they need temps 95-110 to get that moving ---
Karrie
he is doing well today no black beard and is eating well, thanks for the help :D . i will buy a bigger tank with the tube UVB as soon as i can.

NiGhtMaRe050910

Original Poster
claudiusx":2ngjussp said:
Hi there,

I'd suggest getting a timer for your lights. You can get them for less than 15 bucks usually. That way you don't need to worry about turning lights on and off. They will be automatic at the same time every day :)

If you're only using the CHE for basking, I'd consider finding a bulb that actually produces light instead. Ideally you want a bright light basking bulb, we are trying to mimic the sun anyways remember :)
Your temps are actually fine, but it would be best to achieve those temps with a light bulb as opposed to a CHE like mentioned.

I would also suggest switching your UVB to the reptisun 10.0 long tube instead. The small screw in UVB bulbs really aren't suitable for our dragons. And UV plays a large role in their general well being.

Once you get your husbandry all situated, I think you will be all set to go, and we could at least rule out that being the cause of any issues :)

-Brandon
thanks for the idea! i actually never heard of the timers for some reason :?: i will look them up and order some.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
NiGhtMaRe050910":2jextpul said:
claudiusx":2jextpul said:
Hi there,

-Brandon
thanks for the idea! i actually never heard of the timers for some reason :?: i will look them up and order some.

Hi there! Don't know your location but if you have a Harbor Freight Tool store near you, they have the dual timers, 2 outlet, for $5. They aren't expensive anyway but that's the lowest cost I have seen and mine works great.
-Dee
Edit: Can order online too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom