Beardy swallowed a skink almoat the same size as her

This forum is for urgent health concerns, where your beardie seems very ill and you need immediate help!

Beardy swallowed a skink almoat the same size as her

Postby snottow44 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:47 am

Hi couldnt find any posts about this issue but my 10 year old dragon Cheryl swallowed a big skink down to its back legs and it was almost as long as her. It has been a week now and she is eating and moving around but is still throwing up some of her food nearly daily. Could this be just an upset tummy that will heal over time or after a week is it time to take her to the vet i am leaning towards the vet but am unsure. Any help appreciated.
snottow44
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Beardy swallowed a skink almoat the same size as her

Postby kingofnobbys » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:05 am

1. Vet needs to check this.
2. No food until cleared by the vet.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : new rescues Cheakie (subadult M) Nov 2019, Gutzy (F) 27Sep19, Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby snottow44 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:31 am

Thank you very much i shall take the old girl to the vet
snottow44
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:44 am

They are able to process smaller lizards in the wild but if something seems off, I agree it's best to have a vet check her out and catch anything that might be wrong early (or give an all clear).
CooperDragon

Postby HippieLizards » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:47 pm

And on top of the other poster's information given I would also highly advise against feeding your Beardie something like that in the future.

For the reasons like that given, it's just not a good idea as it could cause things like that. But also it could be a choking hazard, it could cause an impaction, it could give them parasites, and many other things that just aren't good. Feeding your Beardie things like other lizards or pinkies are a bit of a controversial topic but to be on the safe side I wouldn't recommend it. Pinkies I'd only be ok with if it was a VERY small pinkie and the dragon was rather large but maybe a bit underweight or something. But other lizards? Ehhh... I'd just steer clear from that. :|

But please get your Beardie checked out by an experienced reptile veterinarian to see if the skink caused any problems. Did the Beardie just find the skink outside and try to eat it or did you purposely feed him it? Did she actually eat it all or did the skink get out and is it still alive?

To help your Beardie with recovering I would recommend getting her rehydrated, Put a small pinch of calcium in with the water you're giving her and that should help, but really try to rehydrate her, maybe give her some more electrolytes, and just more TLC and a vet visit. And no good until an all clear by a vet too. There's a very good chance she will bounce back from this rather quickly. :)
Slave and Personal janitor to Five Beardies, one Crested gecko, one leopard gecko, three Betta fish, a Cat, and a community fish tank. . (R.I.P my precious Thor, Cisco, & Ruby. You three will always be in our hearts).
HippieLizards
Gray-bearded Poster

Location: South of Neptune, Hidden away in my magical dragon lair.

Postby Drache613 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:40 am

Hello,

Uh, good lord, a skink, really? That is a new one here. I don't think I have seen a post like
that here before.
I do agree, it would be a good idea to get her to the vet to have her checked out since she is
throwing up daily. Her system sounds like it is upset to some extent.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie
Drache613

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Beardie ER