Not Basking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Dezzy is 5yo 18" F, Percy is 8yo 19" M
My beardy started off well with the new tank for quite awhile. She's eating fine, she's moving around, she doesnt have any stress marks, and she was basking previously. However, she stopped basking in the last couple of days. She has a gradient of 70F to 110F, so its not a matter of incorrect temps, she's simply preferred to stay in her hide. It's not brumation, like I said she's been active. Most of the day she remains awake, but she stays under her hide. She doesn't fuss when I take her out, in fact this is being written while she's decided to crawl onto my chest and go to sleep... but she isn't basking in any temp, simply staying under her hide. The temps under the hide stick around 85F if that makes any difference.

Any ideas? She can't be eating daily then not basking and I cant simply stop feeding her. Ive taken away the hides in the past so that she would bask, which did work then, but Im not a fan of doing that unless I have no other choice.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
BeardedDragonSteve":3j7fw2hc said:
What UVB do you have?

Reptisun 10.0 T5HO 22" tube at 16 to 20 inches away from main basking areas pending where she is via suggestions from this site but she also has a second basking spot at almost 36 inches away from the light that she isn't using either.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Given that the temps and UVB exposure are correct she is probably OK and just doesn't feel like basking for some reason. What you might want to try is set up a dome fixture in a room outside the tank. Put a plain basking bulb in it and set it at a height that will provide basking range temps right under it. This will produce a very big gradient in a circle away from the center of the beam so she can sit to the side and choose the temps she wants. That may help you hone the target temp for inside the enclosure based on her preference. If she ignores this light too, then maybe she just isn't in the mood to bask and it's not necessarily a sign of a problem.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
She knows where shade is aside from her hides due to the multiple levels, without the hides she chose the warmer basking spots rather than any cooler area or shaded area in the lower tank where she's gone in the past to cool off or hide. I'm confused but it is what it is.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Got me on that one :dontknow: As long as she seems happy and healthy though, I'd let her do her thing and just give her plenty of options.

Deabrua

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Ima go give condolences to my parents at this point :lol:

EDIT: I'm dumb. Her UV bulb was just replaced, it's probably a little stronger than the 7 month one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom