Stock Tank Question

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

Stock Tank Question

Postby Hufflepuff16 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:57 pm

Hello!

Would a 2x4 180 gallon stock tank be a good enclosure for an adult bearded dragon? I'm looking for a cheap but large option for an enclosure, as my bearded dragon could probably use more space. I've seen it done with a Savannah monitor before.

Also! Would a smaller stock tank work? I want her to have the space she needs, but I want to know if a smaller size would be good.

Here's the stock tank I'm looking at right now: https://www.tankandbarrel.com/round...h ... 0kQAvD_BwE
Hufflepuff16
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Stock Tank Question

Postby Hufflepuff16 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:58 pm

I'm also worried about lighting, and what it would take to keep a tank that big heated. Any ideas except just a bunch of lights?
Hufflepuff16
Newbie Poster

Postby Hufflepuff16 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:09 pm

Hufflepuff16
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:09 pm

Space wise it should work. You could suspend lighting overhead using adjustable stands. I've never seen someone use one as an enclosure though. It won't hold heat as well as a wooden enclosure. The opaque sides might feel oppressive to them since they tend to be really curious and like to look at their surroundings (put a dragon in a window sill and they'll look outside for hours). Maybe a modified version with some plastic or mesh installed on the sides would work. In the long run you're probably better off building a more traditional style enclosure though.
CooperDragon

Postby KarrieRee » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:34 am

I agree --- are you planning on putting this in your house?
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Addict

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures