2 male dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.
kingofnobbys":xi7wjduf said:
Very dangerous practice likely to introduce a viral and bacterial infection, and / or parasites to your dragon. (Feeding it smaller lizards.).
This always confused me, bearded dragons in the wild eat everything they can swallow. i'm pretty sure they would be immune to parasites and mites, but idk can someone give me an explanation??

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They all carry a certain amount of parasites in their intestine its when the lighting and basking temps are incorrect and they multiply and the dragon gets sick from too many - if you can keep your lighting in your tank correct they will not do this the dragon can keep a grip on it so to speak ---- also crickets I was told are prone to giving parasites - dont know why - when I heard that I quit feeding as I was also advised by the first vet I saw to change over to dubias --- I dont know if clean husbandry has anything to do w/ it but I am a clean freak so my tanks have tile for substrate which so easy to keep clean - and I use paper towels underneath the tiles for easy to clean - pull tile and paper towel replace w/ new paper towel - clean tile w/ vinegar/ water ---
Karrie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NiGhtMaRe050910":1dy26nr5 said:
kingofnobbys":1dy26nr5 said:
Very dangerous practice likely to introduce a viral and bacterial infection, and / or parasites to your dragon. (Feeding it smaller lizards.).
This always confused me, bearded dragons in the wild eat everything they can swallow. i'm pretty sure they would be immune to parasites and mites, but idk can someone give me an explanation??

You're not talking about a wild bearded dragon who has very good genetics and has inherited a very good immune system from it's parents ( only the strongest wild dragons survive long enough to reproduce ) , nor a built up tolerance to paracites, viruses, bacteria and toxins it's encountered regularly over a lifetime ( and survived the effects ).
Captive bred dragons are poorer genetically than their wild cousins, and are more likely to succumb to deseases , paracites and toxins than their tough as nails wild cousins.
This is especially so outside Australia where inbreeding and very much reduced genetic diversity in the species is a huge issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom