GEEZ! Petey is such a mess!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Anyone else have 'messy' dragons?
Petey has always been a mess! Worse when he was on loose coconut fiber, tank was always a mess! Better now just with newspaper.
He made a liar out of me yesterday, never did touch his salad! Decided to eat a couple bites of it today, then poo, then walk thru it, drag his tail thru it and make a nasty disaster out of his tank! ? OMG! Spent 45mins getting him cleaned up, him and tank. All the glass had to be cleaned, all his 'furniture' cleaned, replaced his blanket with a clean one. Good grief! No bath today but did get wiped down with warm wet washcloth.
This is the worse mess he has ever made with me.
Anyone else have messy disasters? ? LOL!
-Dee

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Geez what a mess! I’ve had that happen on occasion too. Much less frequent now after developing a consistent poop outside the enclosure routine in the mornings.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":13eroewr said:
Geez what a mess! I’ve had that happen on occasion too. Much less frequent now after developing a consistent poop outside the enclosure routine in the mornings.

Normally he doesn't have a chance to make a mess, since I have my eye on him every few minutes, he's only like 5 feet from my recliner in the LR. But he managed to do his biz today and get it all over before I saw him. ?
He's still not as comfortable with me as I would like, hopefully in time. He gets 'petted' several times a day and brought out for a few minutes several times a week, plus warm soak every couple weeks.
Feeding in a separate container is a good idea, he usually poos within 15 mins of eating. He's quite regular. Maybe something like a Rubbermaid tote? Don't have a 2nd tank. Tote would be easily cleaned after removing paper.
Thanks for the idea. Since he's well into adulthood, no little baby poos from this guy! ? LOL!
-Dee

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes they don't like being fed in other enclosures. I've tried it with poor results. Some are OK with it I've heard. It depends like most things :lol: I keep darwin in the kitchen with me as I prep breakfast etc. The door is closed and he has a basking light. I give him his breakfast and he does a bask and runs around a bit and has learned that when he poops the door opens and he can run around the rest of the house. It's not a perfect system but works pretty well. The vinyl floor is super easy to clean and sanitize.

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":e2ytft0y said:
Sometimes they don't like being fed in other enclosures. I've tried it with poor results. Some are OK with it I've heard. It depends like most things :lol: I keep darwin in the kitchen with me as I prep breakfast etc. The door is closed and he has a basking light. I give him his breakfast and he does a bask and runs around a bit and has learned that when he poops the door opens and he can run around the rest of the house. It's not a perfect system but works pretty well. The vinyl floor is super easy to clean and sanitize.
Smarter than you expect huh? It's worth a try. If he's good with it, fine. If not, that's fine too. I was just amazed at the mess he made today! That's why I posted. Figured someone else had been thru it too.
Having cats, his 'free range' time will be limited to a specific room where cats aren't allowed, after our relationship has gotten better. He doesn't trust me yet. Takes time. ?
-Dee

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah the cats limit the free roaming a bit. Darwin would have none of that :lol: Give the feeder bin a try and see how it goes. If you can develop a routine that works for both of you, it may (eventually) cut down on messes. I certainly know the pain of picking up after rage-poot messes. :roll: :lol:

DragonPete

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":t44u2bmn said:
Yeah the cats limit the free roaming a bit. Darwin would have none of that :lol: Give the feeder bin a try and see how it goes. If you can develop a routine that works for both of you, it may (eventually) cut down on messes. I certainly know the pain of picking up after rage-poot messes. :roll: :lol:
Just dawned on me, you were talking about having yours enclosed in the kitchen, not a separate container. ? Don't know where I got that. ? Been a long week.
-Dee

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah :lol: The kitchen door is closed so he has to stay in there with me. Enclosed room not container.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom