Beardy swallowed a skink almoat the same size as her

Status
Not open for further replies.

snottow44

Hi couldnt find any posts about this issue but my 10 year old dragon Cheryl swallowed a big skink down to its back legs and it was almost as long as her. It has been a week now and she is eating and moving around but is still throwing up some of her food nearly daily. Could this be just an upset tummy that will heal over time or after a week is it time to take her to the vet i am leaning towards the vet but am unsure. Any help appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They are able to process smaller lizards in the wild but if something seems off, I agree it's best to have a vet check her out and catch anything that might be wrong early (or give an all clear).

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
And on top of the other poster's information given I would also highly advise against feeding your Beardie something like that in the future.

For the reasons like that given, it's just not a good idea as it could cause things like that. But also it could be a choking hazard, it could cause an impaction, it could give them parasites, and many other things that just aren't good. Feeding your Beardie things like other lizards or pinkies are a bit of a controversial topic but to be on the safe side I wouldn't recommend it. Pinkies I'd only be ok with if it was a VERY small pinkie and the dragon was rather large but maybe a bit underweight or something. But other lizards? Ehhh... I'd just steer clear from that. :|

But please get your Beardie checked out by an experienced reptile veterinarian to see if the skink caused any problems. Did the Beardie just find the skink outside and try to eat it or did you purposely feed him it? Did she actually eat it all or did the skink get out and is it still alive?

To help your Beardie with recovering I would recommend getting her rehydrated, Put a small pinch of calcium in with the water you're giving her and that should help, but really try to rehydrate her, maybe give her some more electrolytes, and just more TLC and a vet visit. And no good until an all clear by a vet too. There's a very good chance she will bounce back from this rather quickly. :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Uh, good lord, a skink, really? That is a new one here. I don't think I have seen a post like
that here before.
I do agree, it would be a good idea to get her to the vet to have her checked out since she is
throwing up daily. Her system sounds like it is upset to some extent.

Let us know how she is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimberly_Eaton
Top Bottom