A bearded dragon from Santa Claus: CandyCane passed away :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I'm looking into and thoroughly researching bearded dragons to see if one would be a good fit for my family. My son has been telling me for weeks that Santa is probably bringing him a snake or a lizard and I should prepare myself, so that's what I'm doing. I have 8 year old twins, and a bearded dragon would be their one big gift from Santa Claus. They would not be the primary caretakers for obvious reasons, so I'm also researching what level of care they need, etc. I've learned they need quite a bit when they're younger, and I'm also trying to figure out if this is financially feasible for my family as well. I'm posting mainly because I have a question about habitat. I've been looking at different potential terrariums and I found one called the zen habitat. It's 4 feet long by 2 feet wide, so plenty of room. I'm just wondering if any bearded dragon owners on here have any first hand experience with these enclosures? Also, hoping to find a good breeder in Louisiana that will have some fun morphs, hopefully the bright yellow colors. I wouldn't mind having one shipped, but it would be easiest for us to pick up on Christmas Eve from someone local if that's at all possible. I have a veterinarian (for my dog) that also sees bearded dragons so that's in order. Anyway, just saying hello and introducing myself because I'll probably have lots of questions lol. Thanks!

PathfinderMom91

Hatchling Member
I don’t have any advice, just wanted to say how impressive the enclosures are!!! Those are some lucky beardies! How old are your kids? Mine are 7, 5, and 1. I currently have their beardie in their room, but I’m the only one who handles and cares for him.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
PathfinderMom91":2zsdzsp7 said:
I don’t have any advice, just wanted to say how impressive the enclosures are!!! Those are some lucky beardies! How old are your kids? Mine are 7, 5, and 1. I currently have their beardie in their room, but I’m the only one who handles and cares for him.
Mine are 8 years old. They’re twins who are one minute apart. And thanks so much! I got super lucky and found a local guy who does this on the side and doesn’t charge as much as I was expecting. The enclosure including him hanging the lights and delivering them was only 550 which when I was looking at ready made tanks the same size is cheap.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
So I noticed the enclosures had low humidity today. I’m assuming it’s because I run the AC and it’s Louisiana and 80 degrees in January. If I put a water bowl in there to raise humidity, what should I watch out for? It was around 20% and my temp/humidity gauge had a sad face saying “dry” lol.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
20% is just fine for dragons. They are from arid regions after all :)

I wouldn't worry about trying to raise the humidity.

-Brandon

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
claudiusx":3uipbbjk said:
20% is just fine for dragons. They are from arid regions after all :)

I wouldn't worry about trying to raise the humidity.

-Brandon

Okay good. I read it could make shedding harder, but I misted both today and they drank and seemed to enjoy it. CandyCane is willingly allowing pets now and even closes her eyes. She ate like a champ today. Not as much as I expected, but she did love her turnip greens. How much is too much and how much is not enough? I’m a little paranoid about 3-5 times a day thing lol.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Salads once a day offer more if she eats all of it--- bugs twice a day as many as they will eat in that 10 min time frame-
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2jbl3dvx said:
Salads once a day offer more if she eats all of it--- bugs twice a day as many as they will eat in that 10 min time frame-
Karrie

They’ll take salad from my hands but not from the bowl how high is too high? It’s maybe an inch and a half tall and they’re so small.

In other news Elliot is shedding the skin off, and he ate some greens from my hand today and let me pet him. He has also been down in his enclosure today basking and running around which he hasn’t done at all. He really really seemed to love being spritzed down. I’m assuming it helps with itching and tightness? He’s been much happier since his shed has started to come off. CandyCane found her sweet spot in the enclosure and that’s where she spends most her time. It seems like Elliot is trying to find his as he flits back and forth between his two logs and his hammock.

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Miss CandyCane
82958059_10104310731561670_8712584800545800192_o.jpg

That round belly!
Elliot (although my son renamed him Wilbur, because apparently he responded and looked right at him when he said "Wilbur" lol)
83247057_10104310731716360_5125063459318267904_o.jpg

He is all over the cage now. I had kind of blocked his view outside his cage to kind of calm him down for a few days. Put a tupperware and a chair to kind of block it and it hasn't been there today and he's been happy exploring everything.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
They will climb in the bowl
97951-7323218365.jpg
That's Blaze when I first got him - he was so little
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2aq5jl9b said:
They will climb in the bowl
97951-7323218365.jpg
That's Blaze when I first got him - he was so little
Karrie
Ok great that looks exactly like what I have as far as bowls go.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Feed those salads w/ bsfl and some worms in it - then after an HR or so take a little of the greens out not all add your roaches they will get in those bowls to eat them and also eat veggies as well
Karrie

opaquelace

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":18w6y3tc said:
Feed those salads w/ bsfl and some worms in it - then after an HR or so take a little of the greens out not all add your roaches they will get in those bowls to eat them and also eat veggies as well
Karrie
My BSFL are coming in tomorrow iirc so that will be easy peas. I just want to make sure I do right by them so they're healthy and happy. So, the advice is greatly appreciated. I saw a picture of a months difference in size starting about the size mine are now. They can grow A LOT in 4 weeks. How often do they shed as babies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom